Long story short: We're moving to a new physical server. It's running CentOS (as is the current one.)

I copied the httpd.conf and my.cnf files over, the entire htdocs directory, and ran a backup of the db. On the new system, I installed the "old" conf files, restarted the services, changed the root user password in mysql and then added the user/password we're using for ubb to connect to the db. I restored the backup sql file. I did a grant (in fact, I granted all *.* to that user just to test) for that user.

Using the username/password combo I created, I can log in from the command line, use the ubb mysql db, and the selects that I have run (eg select count(*) from ubbt_POSTS) have all returned exactly as expected.

Now, with that said, I'm still getting "Unable to connect to database server, please try again in a few minutes." when I try to use ubb (the rest of the website works fine and I've made an entry for the site in my hosts file). If I point UBB at my dev database (after poking a hole in the firewall) it works fine. So, all signs point to something I somehow screwed up on the new server with mysql (5.0.77 if it matters). However, I'm just not seeing it...

Anyone?

I seem to remember a way to turn on additional error logging from a config file, but I'm not sure that would help here, and I don't remember how anyway.