Thanks for the quick reply, Gizmo!

I don't know PHP, but with the help of Microsoft Bing's AI I managed this:

<?php
// Check if the mbstring extension is loaded
if (!extension_loaded('mbstring')) {
echo "The mbstring extension is not loaded.\n";
exit;
}

// Test the mb_convert_case function
$test_string = "hello world!";
$converted_string = mb_convert_case($test_string, MB_CASE_TITLE, "UTF-8");

echo "Original string: $test_string\n";
echo "Converted string: $converted_string\n";
?>

Since I'm back to PHP 7.4, I ran it in my browser and this was the result:

Original string: hello world! Converted string: Hello World! [I did NOT get "The mbstring extension is not loaded.]

Then I set it to PHP 8.1 and ran the script again from the browser and received the same result above.

Changed to PHP 8.2 and got the same result as above (but my Joomla 4.4.3 site erred out, so I much have an extension there that doesn't yet work with PHP 8.2).

Changed back to PHP 8.1. Checked my UBB Forum, front end ok (could post a test post, even though closed). Control Panel still white screened.