Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1056 07/06/2006 11:05 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
Search engine friendly URLs would definitely put this new script over the top of many competing message boards...


Sal Collaziano
cadillac
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
SE Friendly URL's are built in, and enabled...

Last edited by Gizmo; 07/06/2006 11:20 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
O
newbie
newbie
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Can you explain that a bit more for non-techies like me?
More than classic 6.7.2?
Can we put keywords in there and stuff?

smile

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Keywords haven't ever been a part of SE Friendly URLs; the SE Friendly URLs makes it so that your forum can be crawled by search engines...

A URL like below IS SE Friendly:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/version7...t/Number/1056/an/0/page/1/gonew/1#UNREAD

However a URL like below is NOT SE Friendly:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/version7...6&an=0&page=1&gonew=1#UNREAD

The special characters (?-&) tend to cause search engines to ignore the URL. Additionally for some, adding an "id" name to the URL will cause bots like Google to ignore inclusions of that url.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
If this thread were really SE friendly, the URL would look like this:

https://www.ubbcentral.com/version7...1/gonew/Search-Engine-Friendly-URLs.html


Sal Collaziano
cadillac
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
heh! Hover over the link to see what I'm talking about.. Or, look here:

ubbcentral.com/version7/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1056/an/0/page/1/gonew/Search-Engine-Friendly-URLs.html


Sal Collaziano
cadillac
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
Holy nuts! A horizontal scroll bar? Guys, gals.. Get that outta here! Seriously. I'd love to see UBB back in the game!


Sal Collaziano
cadillac
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
so, you want the "fake html" option? As is, it'd read a blank directory as an index file...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Holy nuts! A horizontal scroll bar? Guys, gals.. Get that outta here! Seriously. I'd love to see UBB back in the game!


You'll see horizontal scroll bars when there is an extremely long word with no spacing. It prevents the whole layout from getting stretched.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 11
Okay. The scrollbar makes perfect sense then... Sorry..

As for the fake html or whatever, look at my forum at cadillacforums.com and see how it works there. Fake, real, whatever - it works...


Sal Collaziano
cadillac
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Do a search for anything on google, you'll find plenty of urls like:
http://www.undergroundnews.com/ -or-
http://www.undergroundnews.com/test/

The search engines read it as an index file and just shove it in their database.

With the current links, the redirect scripts that ship with Threads7 will read all of the SE Friendly options and throw them to your new install without issue (with a meta redirect in place so the search engine updates its links as well).


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Rick Gardner), 283 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)