Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#113909 04/07/2005 4:47 AM
T
T Offline
I ran a check on a member's IP numbers, but it returned results of 5 other members who don't have those IP numbers in whole or in part. I've never had that problem pop up before. Any ideas?

#113910 04/08/2005 11:08 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Could you describe exactly how you performed this search?

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
T
T Offline
Well, I clicked "IP:logged" on her post and copied that number. I then went to control panel and member management and then advanced search and put it in the "last IP" space. Five members came up, none of whom actually match that IP number, but it was in their IP information nonetheless. However, when I'd click their last post link on the search results screen, it brought up the "last posts" screen with a totally different IP number.

So, the next time I put in her publicly displayed name and when that came up accurately in the search results, the logged IP on the board was not the IP that showed as her last IP numbers in control panel. So, I copied that number and put it in last IP search. That brought up the search result of 2,698 members matching that IP number.

I guess now is a good time to tell you that my board has 2,698 members. Yes, it brought up every single member of my board in that search result. Needless to say I'm not running another IP search any time soon.

This function used to work fine. I haven't made any changes to anything and only go into control panel for the most part to approve registrations in the queue or to send off a password occasionally. I have no idea why this feature went crazy. I have version 6.7.1 and it has been very stable and reliable. Nothing else in control panel seems to have been affected. That is if I put in a public display name, it works fine. It just seems to be the IP search that is having a problem. A big problem.

My board gets over 10,000 page views a day, so I don't know if how busy it is has anything to do with the IP numbers, but I wouldn't think so. I can live without the IP search function if necessary, but it was good at catching trolls.

Zoom

#113912 04/11/2005 12:42 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well, I clicked "IP:logged" [...] put it in the "last IP" space
Okay, problem number one - it's possible for a user's IP to change mid-session. In such a case, this change wouldn't be recorded in his or her profile. There is no mechanism to search posts for IPs at this time.

As for the other problems... first things first, run a member metadata rebuild, as that will help. Second, as this data is stored in the member file, only members that have been active since you upgraded will have any last login/last session IP info. This may result in unusual results on some queries.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29