Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Jamin #1127 07/08/2006 9:51 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've been playing with it for months wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #1128 07/08/2006 10:37 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
probably longer wink

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
#1129 07/08/2006 10:47 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
... We're still talking about UBB7 right? lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Rick #1147 07/09/2006 6:53 AM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
Believe me, I've been putting the pressure on the documentation people to get that bit done wink As soon as I get the go-ahead I'll be packaging this up and throwing it into the download area without a moment to spare.

Bug reports have really slowed down, just working on a few minor things in that area and the images and styles. I know it's getting bad when I'm getting antsy and starting to think about 7.1 already. laugh

I don't like not having a definite answer to give. But as I mentioned before, after this version I'll be taking over the documentation as well so I will know everything wink

Rick - surely the person writing the docs must know - I can't see how it can take a month, to get basic docs - personally I desperately need to upgrade my forums from ubbt6x - I was trusting groupee that the beta would be out on June 15th - so with no new date, I have to look at my options. frown frown (I have to have the upgrade down within the next month - even if that is to a beta version and if that is not out my only option at the moment is VB (which trust me, I do not want - but have no other choice at the moment))

Ian #1152 07/09/2006 9:52 AM
Addict
Addict
I am also wondering how much longer this is going to take, seeing that we have been waiting well over a year for this.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Not to sound like a broken record, but I understand everyone is a bit frustrated on this. This wasn't handled well at all. Documentation shouldn't take that long but unfortunately this isn't the only thing on their plate either.

The beta was ready to go as far as the coding pretty much when we had posted. The documenation totally slipped my mind. So, those writing the documentation had to play catchup, do a few installations, setup forums, etc to know how everything worked to start writing the docs.

I know it's hard to do, but trust me, this won't happen again. As we progress past version 7, we won't run into these delays. When I make a change to the program I'll be changing the docs at the same time. So when the code is ready the docs will be ready.

All of that said, I know that doesn't help those of you with deadlines. All I can do is apologize at this point as the docs for this version are out of my hands. As soon as I know a date or a general timeframe I'll let everyone know. I know they aren't that far off. Before the holiday I had the 1st draft that I read through to give my input on any changes that needed to be made, so they are close to being finished.

Rick #1172 07/09/2006 6:58 PM
Cut Rick some slack guys. It is very obvious that he is doing the best he can.

How's all this "hopie-changie" working out for you???
Musky #1173 07/09/2006 7:01 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Rick is my hero frown

Musky #1197 07/12/2006 10:39 AM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Musky
Cut Rick some slack guys. It is very obvious that he is doing the best he can.

No-one is denying that - clearly he has been let down by others. However we have had so many 'promises' over the last year or so - it is dissapointing when a firm date was set, Rick got the software ready for that date (AFAIK) and then could not release it.

Not sure why it has taken a month so far to write this. So my guess is, it is not a priority for the person(s) writing it. frown

Ian #1201 07/12/2006 11:09 AM
I can relate to Ian's frustrations; I don't think he's putting the *blame* (if there is any blame to be assigned) on Rick. Ian's just voicing his frustration--and the *face* we all know is Rick's.

I find it perplexing, too, that it's taken almost a month for the documentation to come out. To me, once Rick had the software ready to go, it should've become priority #1 by those responsible.

I'm going to be going away for the weekend. It'd be a nice surprise to come back to the beta release. smile

~Sue

ADWOFF #1202 07/12/2006 11:58 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The main problem was one of timing. The normal document editor was out on vacation at the same time I realized that we needed to get the documentation done, so it's been slower to get this done.

One thing to take heart in, is this time isn't going to waste. It doens't make this release come to you any sooner, but one of the things I still had to do for the final of 7.0 was rewrite the upgrade utility. You know...the one that upgrades your language files, checks to make sure all of the proper scripts are in place, updates the database, etc.

Originally I thought I'd be doing this while it was in public beta but I've been able to work on this now, so it should be ready much sooner than I had expected.

Once that is done, I'll actually be making a new development branch and starting to work on some of the things I have in mind for 7.1, yes I already have 7.1 pretty much planned out wink. So once we get past this initial hurdle things should progress at a good pace.

I appreciate the fact that everyone is waiting for this and has been waiting for quite some time. My main priority is to make sure that it's worth everyone's wait. 7.0 will be a big step in the right direction in getting us caught up to what's currently available in the forum market. 7.1 will add a few of the missing pieces and introduce a couple things that will hopefully raise the bar a bit wink

Rick #1203 07/12/2006 12:13 PM
The main problem was one of timing. The normal document editor was out on vacation at the same time I realized that we needed to get the documentation done, so it's been slower to get this done.

Don't you just hate it when Murphy's Law takes over?!

Thanks for keeping us informed, Rick.

~Sue

Rick #1204 07/12/2006 12:38 PM
journeyman
journeyman
We have been waiting 2 years for the new product, a few days more to wait in my eyes is not a disaster laugh

ADWOFF #1206 07/12/2006 2:34 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Another dissapointed member....:-(

Will start to downlaod PHPBB after the weekend, this is not the way to keep customers satisfied!
I'me losing my faith and convidence for further development and releases of UBB.Threads....

Time to make a switch guys....

Marcel #1208 07/12/2006 2:45 PM
While I'll admit I'm disappointed that we're still waiting for the Threads, I guess I still have enough faith in this company that they'll get it "right."

When I first started to surf the 'net, I really liked what I saw with Infopop's messageboard (can't call it Groupee, sorry! tongue ). I knew that when I could *afford* my own site, it'd be the messageboard I'd invest in.

I've been with them for over 5 years now--with Classic--and now I'm anxiously waiting for Threads. Would I be happier if 7 would've come out a month ago? That's a no-brainer. Of course I would've been. But despite my disappointment in the delays, I'm not going to abandon ship.

I like the product and the geeks (I say that with the utmost respect) I've worked with in the past, and I look forward to 7 and the adventures I'll have with the gang in the future.

~Sue

Last edited by ADWOFF; 07/12/2006 2:45 PM.
ADWOFF #1211 07/12/2006 2:59 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Marcel, I have no affiliation with Infopop, other than my UBB is the heart of my website.

Just a heads up, at my "regular job" we had to pull the plug on our PHBB just the other day. It got hacked and they were able to get at the database and do all kinds of things. Beware of the security risks with that product.

old hand
old hand
That was my post above. Are we supposed to be able to post without logging in?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hmm, not supposed to be able to.
Originally Posted by Mitch P.
That was my post above. Are we supposed to be able to post without logging in?

Hmm, not supposed to be able to. Were you logged in to begin with and then logged out while posting, or logged out when you first visited?

Rick #1218 07/12/2006 3:19 PM
old hand
old hand
Rick, I've got mutliple browser tabs open (Yahoo toolbar). I know I had the forum open on two tabs. However, I'm not exactly sure what actions I did when I made that post. I was jumping back and forth between the two tabs if that helps. Very interesting.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok, thanks Mitch. I'll see what I can do to duplicate it.

Rick #1220 07/12/2006 3:25 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
And a small update on this. I can't give a date, but let's just say we're very close to having the docs done wink Possibly done by the end of the week laugh

Rick #1222 07/12/2006 3:30 PM
And a small update on this. I can't give a date, but let's just say we're very close to having the docs done wink Possibly done by the end of the week laugh

YAY!

~Sue

ADWOFF #1223 07/12/2006 3:48 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Awwe, sue said she loves us geeks <3!

ADWOFF #1226 07/12/2006 4:03 PM
No-one is denying that - clearly he has been let down by others. However we have had so many 'promises' over the last year or so - it is dissapointing when a firm date was set, Rick got the software ready for that date (AFAIK) and then could not release it.

Maybe if people don't keep ASKING Rick.... When ??....when ??....when ??.....then you won't be disappointed.

How's all this "hopie-changie" working out for you???
Gizmo #1228 07/12/2006 4:16 PM
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Awwe, sue said she loves us geeks <3!

LOL -- damn straight, Gizzy! You guys are my heroes!

~Sue

ADWOFF #1237 07/12/2006 6:11 PM
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Originally Posted by ADWOFF
While I'll admit I'm disappointed that we're still waiting for the Threads, I guess I still have enough faith in this company that they'll get it "right."

The reason I'm awaiting the beta is because Rick is back and active. When he was MIA on the boards I had pretty much given up.

Lee

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Mick,

i'me not discussing the reliability of the software. Security holes are everywhere, even in UBB in the past. PHPBB is responding well to this kind of issues as Infopop has.

I'me running a very huge forum with over 6500 active members and 180 Gb of traffic on the forum-board each month.

Running UBB.classic for almost 5 years, and eager to switch to a database driven forum-board due to server-performance.

Need to switch very soon, did some tests with threads 6.5 and deciced to go for threads 7.x, but get lost some convidence
in Infopop after all these promises.....:-(

Marcel #1244 07/13/2006 3:01 AM
Marcel,
Trust me, those who couldn't wait jumped ship long ago. Sadly, Groupee will have to live with that fact as they struggle to regain their lost market share going forward. There are, however, still loyal admins out here committed to helping Groupee develop this product to its fullest potential. Telling us you're giving up and jumping to another product isn't going to get the documentation completed sooner, get Beta 1 released any quicker, or make the product any better. If you truely can't wait a few more days, then by all means jump ship. There'll be more cheese for the rest of us rats. smile

While I don't have as large a community as you apparently do, I too am eager to make the switch. Having run Classic for seven years now with thousands of members, one thing I value more than anything about it is the stability of the software. That's one area you can't fault UBB. If it wasn't stable, I would have jumped ship long ago while waiting for the Next Generation product, Gold license or not. So I'm willing to wait for (and help improve) a quality product. If all you're worried about is server performance at this point, I think waiting a few more days for the new product is well within reason. But that's your decision to make. Please kindly make it silently though. Many of us are tired of hearing 3 years of similar non-productive comments.

Respectfully,
Z_P (off soap box and back to my sand box)

Stress the system until it breaks. Hey.. it works for Spacecraft.. why not here?

UBB since 1999: MonteCarloSS.com
#1246 07/13/2006 3:18 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd insert a ratty noise here, but I don't really know what noise rats make... so I'll jsut say "meep"! lol...

I too would like to chime in about the negativity as of late; we're all adults here, we all know things can get stressful, but if you must leave, please go quietly, all you'll do by posting non-productive comments is make a fool of yourself... There are numerous people here who've been with Infopop since the beginning, and don't plan on changing a thing... With alternatives out there, we'd rather stick with something that we have input on, vs something that's neutorious for the classification of "bloatware"...

:hands paul a small blue plastic shovel and a red bucket with a white handle:

Last edited by Gizmo; 07/13/2006 3:19 AM.

Gizmo #1278 07/14/2006 12:50 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
On the good side, bugs are continuing to be fixed - a good number of us installed it on our personal sites in the last few days and got whacked with bugs we hadn't seen before (most alpha/beta testing was done in pretty controlled environments). Rick fixed them quickly, public beta shouldn't last as long now and you guys missed the fun of having to wait and re-do your imports smile

- Allen
#1292 07/14/2006 5:46 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Oh yeh, re importing what, 40+ times on large boards... what fun! :x...

Gizmo #1330 07/16/2006 8:35 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
And don't forget that there are those of us that are new to the geekdom of UBB. I have only been running my site for a year and a half and I just want something new and cooler than what I'm running now. (Classic 6.7) cool This version looks much nicer than many of the boards I see running out there. I for one appreciate these test forums and the fact that the developers are screwing with it and getting right by testing it first. Since I don't have much in the way of sponsorship I hope I can scrape up the cash to upgrade! How about a discount for upgraders? grin

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
there is one, if you own a license pay $99 to renew for a year :x...

Gizmo #1333 07/17/2006 3:32 AM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Or $39 if you were with Rick in the wwwthreads days laugh

Ian #1334 07/17/2006 4:32 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Wow, that would be nice...

Ian #1338 07/17/2006 11:10 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by Ian
Or $39 if you were with Rick in the wwwthreads days laugh

oldtimer laugh

Gizmo #1339 07/17/2006 1:57 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
there is one, if you own a license pay $99 to renew for a year :x...

Woooow... lets clarify that. If I own a license for UBB Classic I can upgrade to the new Threads version 7 for $99?

laugh

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
yes - all classic and threads licenses were converted recently - renewing your members' area download privileges for one year is $99 - you'll have access to the latest classic code (6.7.3) and threads code (6.5.5) and the upcoming threads 7.

- Allen
#1342 07/17/2006 2:46 PM
journeyman
journeyman
LOL I saw a few minutes ago Ricks birthday ist on July the 30th, I think he will release the Beta of Threads 7.0 on this day grin

Last edited by d-talk; 07/17/2006 2:47 PM.
d-talk #1343 07/17/2006 3:56 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
lol. I promise I won't make you guys wait that long. Just got another update. We're on the homestretch now.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29