Our customer says that he is not able to open long threads (about 10 or more posts) with his browser (IE6). He has no problems opening short ones and he has tried several Pc:s and the problem exists only with Internet Explorer 6.
Any idea what this is all about? I have no problems with IE6, but seems like this problem has been going for long time. And we had several similar complaints as well. Seems like only some people experience this kind of problems...
Our board is in Finnish language, and it took quite a long time to customize it to suit our needs, so upgrading is not something we would like to do at this point. Our modifications effect mostly to the appearance, so I think that's not the problem.
To Weird Al: This is not the problem. Topics with lots of posts won't open at all on his machine. Or they open incomplete when he presses stop-button.
Well I think I Will run a Gallup so I'll find exactly what kind of problems people have and what browser and settings they are using.
We have 25 posts maximum per page. So that might cause the problem? Before I change anything, here's a link to thread that won't open for our customer (who is using IE6):
Page loads fine with my Mozilla. Page loads fine with my IE 6.0.2800.1106.
Ask the user what version of Windows/MacOS he's using (both use IE, first is more common). My guess is that he's running Win95 on a relatively slow connection.
He is using Windows XP Home Edition and has tried also Windows 2000 with same results. He is using ADSL-broadband and has tried also disabling his firewall.
Maybe the problem is his ISP...? He says that when he contacted them they also noticed the same problem with IE 6. Or could it be wrong settings in his IE6...?
I use Comcast for broadband, I'm running WinXP Pro SP1 with the latest IE6. Tell him to set his cookie settings in IE to low and try to load a page in question.
To Charles: It takes forever(=minutes) to load a long thread and usually he has to stop loading, because nothing happening. When he does this, the page opens incomplete.
By reloading many times he sometimes gets the complete page.
That's very odd. You noted in your first post that the user has tried other browsers, and the problem only exists in IE6. What other browsers were tested?
Well, he's using now Opera 7.23 and has still same problems. So it's propably not a browser issue at all. Fortunately seems like the problem is not common. We made a gallup and no one else complained. I think we won't spend more time on this for awhile. Thanks for help anyway!