Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#165533 10/10/2006 12:52 AM
V
stranger
stranger
V Offline
I'd like to send an e-mail to my members, but I'm pretty sure I blew past any e-mail server configuration during the V7 install and now I can't find anywhere in the control panel to set it up post hoc.

Is there a field in the database that needs to be populated?

Dirk

M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
Email is generally setup in your PHP setting in the php.ini

check those smtp settings. It is normally setup during PHP setup.

Your boards will use that default php setting.. all you need to do is supply an email address to use. You can set this in the admin >> primary settings just under your board close message.

Happy Customer !!!
V
stranger
stranger
V Offline
Will do. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still so used to UBB.classic and the CGI Control Panel. This learning curve has been steep...

Dirk

V
stranger
stranger
V Offline
Maybe this isn't as simple as I thought.

/etc/php5/php.ini has a couple of line items for default mail stuff in Win32, but seems to demand a SendMail path for non Win32 servers. I'd like the UBB install to use an SMTP server on the local network which, in turn, has permission to talk to the mail servers at my ISP.

I think I'm missing a step. Can I force the mail server address into the DB?

Dirk

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
leave Sendmail Path blank if you're on Win32 as PHP won't even read it, regardless of what you put in there. It's smart enough to know if it is on Win32 or not.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
V
stranger
stranger
V Offline
It's a linux box, but the mail server is running on a Windows machine elsewhere on the network. Will UBBthreads handle the SMTP transaction with a mail server directly or is it uniquely set up to integrate with sendmail on Linux and something else on Windows?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Currenly it relies totally on the PHP configuration. Most of the time if sendmail is installed on a linux box you don't need to change anything at all with the php config. Now that we've switched to a new mailer library I think I can put in a config option to specify a mailserver to use. That likely wouldn't come until 7.1 however.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Wait. As I get this, although you're on a linux box that has sendmail you want to use an SMTP server on another machine?

Fill out the SMTP part of php.ini and leave p[ath to sendmail blank if you really do want to go that way.

And be sure that the SMTP server will allow relay from the linux server.

To echo Rick's reply to your question:

Will UBBthreads handle the SMTP transaction with a mail server directly or is it uniquely set up to integrate with sendmail on Linux and something else on Windows?

It's not UBB.threads' job to handle the mail transaction. PHP does that according to your settings in php.ini.

If you want to use sendmail fill that part out, if you want to relay through an SMTP server then fill that part out instead.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 963 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29