Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
S
journeyman
journeyman
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
Is it possible to have portal page on diff folder? for my site I have installed forums on http://forums.mysite.com which points to directory "home/www/dir2"

I want portal page to be displayed on "mysite.com" which points to "home/www/dir1"

is it possible?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
you could use a php or html redirect to have the default page in your web root forward to the forum subdomain.

PHP Redirect (index.php):
Code
<?php
header('Location: http://forum.yoursite.com/');
exit;
?>

HTML Redirect (index.html/index.htm/index.shtml):
Code
<html>
<head>
<title>Redirecting</title>
<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="5; url=http://forum.yoursite.com/" />
</head>
<body>
<center><h1>We're now redirecting you to the portal</h1></center>
</body>

Last edited by Gizmo; 11/18/2006 7:48 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I think he means to have the portal displayed on www.mysite.com - in otherwords on a different site, whilst also having it on the forums web site.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I figured as much, and asis the onlyway i can think of doing anything remotely capable of doing that would be to do what i said above and forward to the portal page; the portal itself is tied into the forum, by using just the ubbthreads.php script in the web root would cause non functioning links, so a redirect to the working forum directory was what i figured could work like how he'd want.

Also, if you're planning on traffic from search engines, it's not recommended to seperate elements of your site by subdomains, as search engines treat subdomains as differant sites, so the ammount of pages on your site total will be drastically decreased from your forum not being on your web root.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
S
journeyman
journeyman
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
Thanks guys smile For now, I am just creating a simple HTML to point to forums


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)