Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 41
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 41
In my old UBBC, I enabled self-registration. But I was constantly bombarded by neer-do-wells registering all kinds of ficticious users. So I finally turned it off.

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully dealt with spammers and trolls in UBBT7.

TIA...

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 106
member
member
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 106
I use email verification and also moderate registrations and have minimal problems. I also added a few questions that make people that know nothing about the topic stand out as a possible spammer so I just reject those.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
I'm still waiting on CAPTCHA support :crosses fingers:

As for now, EMail verification is all we work with :/


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
member
member
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
how exactly does email verification work?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
1. User registers on your forum and an email is sent to their email address.
2. User recieves email and clicks a link, and the paramaters defined in the link show that their email address does exist and that someone (or a very smart robot) can recieve email at that address.

If user does not click the validation link, their registration is simply purged out of the registration queue.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
member
member
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
graci. <bow>


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Selling a Forum?
by ECNet - 10/10/2026 10:54 AM
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 469 guests, and 123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)