Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#170913 12/23/2006 3:02 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
old hand
old hand
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
How much more secure is smarty over just plain php scripts and why?

Basil

Basil #170960 12/23/2006 8:33 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I don't think anyone uses smarty for "security", I believe the decision to use smarty was so people could tweak templates wthout the need to worry about them nerfing core code...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #170979 12/23/2006 9:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
old hand
old hand
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
Well, it is my understanding that running with smarty is more secure that just running straight php. Anyway, that's one excuse I'm using to my members on my site as to why I must switch to Threads 7 (I had been hacked once before I fixed the "holes" in 6.5.X). For me I think the added security would be (should be) a seiing point.

Basil #170984 12/23/2006 11:05 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
haha there ya go, securty :nods:


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #170986 12/24/2006 12:13 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
old hand
old hand
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
It took me 36 hours with no sleep to clean up the mess when my 6.5.X was hacked. I fixed the security hole in the couple of scripts affected, but I also added some code that sends me an email with the perps IP any time someone accesses any of the affected scripts in their browser. I get about a dozen such attempts per week, no kidding (most are from Netherlands, or China). So for me, security is actually a pretty big deal anyway.

Basil #170989 12/24/2006 1:12 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
lol why not start banning the ip's from your server? hehe


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #170994 12/24/2006 1:26 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
Basil - I get 10 attempted signups every day from spammers - but because everyone has to verify their email, none of the spammers get onto the forum - as they all seem to use invalid ones.

Of course that is no guarantee of not being hacked, but they are likely to do that without loggin on.

Ian #170996 12/24/2006 1:30 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
old hand
old hand
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
The hackers who hacked me did not need to log in, they just knew which php scripts had teh hols and were able to exploit them.

Basil #171001 12/24/2006 2:03 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
Indeed - this is how they do it - this is why it is important to always use the latest version of any software available, as many scripts are vulnerable - of course it may not always be the forum software that is at fault.

I too have been hacked - fortunately I was able to quickly restore from a backup and patch, without too many people noticing...

And no, I was not using the latest version, so have myself to blame to a degree. Of course the issues with any upgrade is the many hacks that one tends to build in.

What people also have to remember is that an author of a piece of software may not reveal a particular security issue, so as not to alarm people - or to put at risk more people than is necessary.

Basil #171003 12/24/2006 2:10 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

*knock on wood* I've been pretty lucky so far. 5.5 years without a major problem (spammers, haxors) w/ Classic (and now Threads).

Gotta say, my AllPosters script's support forum uses phpBB -- and even WITH CAPTCHA AND Email Verification, they were getting bombarded with spam posts! I'm like, sheesh! It's such a tiny forum that no one really uses much, and all that grief?? Is phpBB that insecure even with those safeguards??

Okay, having said that, I'm sure I'll start getting hit now! laugh


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Yes, phpbb is horrid, I've used it for several communtiies and all I get is grief; I try to sway anyone i know that is attempting to use them to use something else (there are several freeware "advanced" forum solutions out there)


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)