Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#171123 12/25/2006 10:00 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian
Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
Okay - I can't decide LOL

Do people tend to use the portal page or just go straight to their forums list?

I will be honest and say I can't see the attraction of it - so please convince me otherwise if it is a good thing for a site.

Thanks.....

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I go straight to my list; the current portal doesn't offer enough to replace my main site (at least i'm too lazy to customize it to); I prefer working one everything i can on my own...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
I have a portal page setup but I don't visit it.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

I haven't activated the portal because I don't post regular "news" announcements... and, to avoid that extra click if someone goes to my URL for the forums (my domain is for the forum only).


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 171
Likes: 1
member
member
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 171
Likes: 1
I decided to have a portal page--and will use a "news forum" to try to introduce information to my members via that page, but I have given everyone the ability to turn off the columns on the left & right if they go directly to the forums.

I don't like a lot of clutter on the actual forum pages.

I figure if people want to go directly to the forums, they can create a link for it; also, eventually, I'll create a link directly to active topics, because that's how I'm used to navigating around my board.

~Sue
adwoff.com


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (SteveS, vscope), 455 guests, and 117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)