Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#171182 12/26/2006 6:47 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
I use a minimum search term length of 2 in my forum.
A post containing the sentence

"This is new in Photoshop CS3"

will be found when I search for

"Photoshop CS3"

but not when I search for

"CS3"

Is this the intended behavior?

EDIT: If you're having this issue and running the latest version of UBB, you can switch the search method to internal and you'll be able to search for 3 character words.

MacW #171184 12/26/2006 7:16 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
member
member
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173

mcasado #171191 12/26/2006 7:30 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Yes, by all means, be sure your mysql server ALLOWS 3 character searches before assuming it's a bug in the software; a lot of hosts use a 4 character default...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
MacW #171205 12/26/2006 5:27 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Quote
I use a minimum search term length of 2 in my forum.


It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you not use anything less than 3 for a minimum search length as it can cause instability on your system for MySQL.

.

ntdoc #171212 12/26/2006 7:05 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
I've mentioned this before but will again so everyone knows. We will be adding in an option in an upcoming version to use the old UBB.threads search engine that will support lower character searches instead of using MySQL's full text searches. We'll be trying to get this in for 7.2.

Rick #171225 12/26/2006 8:46 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
So what is the big difference? Isn't the FULLTEXT better for most searches?

Curious what the difference is and how search terms are different.

ntdoc #171228 12/26/2006 8:50 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Going with the FULLTEXT method you are at the mercy of what your host has for the minimum search character length. Many hosts have this set to a minimum of 4 characters while we have some customers that want to search for 2 or 3 character words.

FULLTEXT is definitely faster, but not flexible enough for some sites. The old method just used a custom built search engine that was a bit slower but allowed for more flexibility in the search length.

Gizmo #171238 12/26/2006 9:19 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
I did not assume this was a bug. I usually assume (by experience) that I'm the cause of the problem blush

I'm not too deep into all this UBB Threads and MySQL stuff.
I don't recall reading something about the dependency between UBB and the settings for the full text index in MySQL in the Administrator Guide. I may have overlooked that.

A hint next to the setting in the UBB control panel (e.g. "Also check the ft_min_word_len in your MySQL server") would have been helpful in this case.

Anyway, after following the instructions on the MySQL site and re-creating the index for the ubbt_posts table the search now finds three letter words too. Great.

Thanks to all posters smile

The minimum setting of "2" in the Control Panel was just a test.


MacW #171239 12/26/2006 9:22 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by MacW
I did not assume this was a bug. I usually assume (by experience) that I'm the cause of the problem blush
I love you for this statement alone lol...

Originally Posted by MacW
I don't recall reading something about the dependency between UBB and the settings for the full text index in MySQL in the Administrator Guide. I may have overlooked that.

As the UBB is a web script that runs on PHP/MySQL/Apache, it is at the mercy of all three services and how they're configured; if one is "botched" it wont' run properly; though i do think there should be a FAQ somewhere that mentions such things...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 563 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)