Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#166559 10/20/2006 2:25 AM
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Is it just me or is it normal that the Preview Post button isn't working? It just opens the Preview AJAX box and shows "Loading Preview...." forever. Is this due to my IE 6.0 browser or some option or feature I might have disabled?

Also, when I Submit without previewing (obviously) with no Subject set UBBT reports there are fields missing (what fields, Rick?) and suggests to go back with the browser button. When I do that -all- fields are missing and I have to re-type the entire message :-(

Tjerk.

Krejt #166568 10/20/2006 5:26 AM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Looks okay from here & I am on 6.x

Try it in firefox and see if the problem goes away - if it does, then sounds like your copy of IE.

Ian #166648 10/20/2006 4:35 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It sounds like one of the javascript issues that are fixed in 7.0.1

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #166750 10/21/2006 1:50 PM
old hand
old hand
I am having the same issue. It does not do it all the time, but is very annoying. Is this something that can be fixed without requiring members to upgrade their browsers? I'm on the verge of getting 7.0, but something like this makes me a little nervous (I can't expect my 7000 members to go download a new version of IE from the "Gates of Hell").

Basil #166759 10/21/2006 3:37 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think that as long as they're running a "modern" browser (IE6 is like 5 years old, there isn't much reason why they shouldnt have at least IE6) they should be fine...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #166767 10/21/2006 4:38 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm running 6.x and I'm having the issue.

Basil #166768 10/21/2006 4:39 PM
old hand
old hand
PS - how does this V7 run on a MAC? or AOLs browser? Anyone know?

Basil #166770 10/21/2006 5:09 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I did a few tests during alpha using a site reader that took screencaps from major browsers on major operating systems; it didn't go into functionlity however it did *look* the same wink

K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
The preview still doesn't work for me with IE 6.0 on UBBT version 7.0.1!!! I really think this should work.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Strange - I certainly had no issues on 6.x - have you checked to see if there are any upgrades to your copy of 6.x? I have now moved my IE onto 7 and it is still fine here. Maybe that is an option for you?

Ian #172028 01/01/2007 11:06 AM
old hand
old hand
I have been running 7.0.2 for several days now and have had multiple complaints about the Previews just "hanging", and I have the same issue. I am using IE6. Rick - do we know what is causing this and is there a fix on the horizon (that doesn;t require users to swicth to a different browser)?

Basil

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I've installed a virtual machine on my computer so I can test under IE6 as well. So far I haven't been able to duplicate it. I've visited a variety of sites running 7.0.2, not just my test board, and the preview works every time. If the site is slow, there will be a bit of a delay as it has to send the request to the server and then back to the browser, but I haven't seen it actually infinitely hang yet.

old hand
old hand
There has got to be something else going on. This is happening to several of my members, and its not just IE6. Some with IE7 are reporting teh same. Its just slow, its a matter of they get a message "preview loading" and it just never does. Its happened to me several times here as well. Perhaps some setting in the IE is causing the issue?

Last edited by Basil; 01/01/2007 3:54 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
This problem really has nothing todo with performance Rick, my own board, and this board in fact, works -fast- for me, still I've always had this preview problem.

I wanted to do some testing to help you to reproduce this problem, but suddenly the preview works for me on this version 7.1B3 of UBBT! It works for both the Quick Reply and the Reply Preview. At the same time with the same browser the preview does not work on my own 7.0.2 board. There it hangs with a Line 34, Char 3, "'http_request' is undefined" code 0.. error, as it always did...

old hand
old hand
Krejt, at least you get an error, I don't even get that,

old hand
old hand
Rick - I "think" I may have a clue about this. Does the preview funtion have anything to do with Javascript? The reason I ask is, it just dawned on me that I have not had the isse since I went here:
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

And installed Java runtime environment Version 5. Since then I've not had the preview problem. Might I have accidentally stumbled onto something?

Basil

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
For referance, Java and Javascript are two indepenant things, I don't see how upgrading/installing a JVM would hurt the preview.

The preview does use AJAX however, which is heavy on Javascript.

And fyi, I have the latest JVM from sun (aka java.com), and haven't been able to replicate the issue either.

old hand
old hand
It did NOT hurt it, it fixed it (or at least I have not had the problem since I installed the reference run time module). It could just be coincidence, but I'm going to have some of my users who are havng the preview issue install the same and see if it helps them as well.

Basil

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't have JAVA installed and the previews work for me on every UBB board I've been on using it.

old hand
old hand
Might have been a coninidence. This is driving me crazy. Two users downloaded the new JRE and one reports his problem is fixed, but the other still has the problem. Very strange.

Basil

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Very odd indeed...

old hand
old hand
There may be multiple things going on. AS I said, when I upgraded to the rev 10 of JRE v5.0, it started working for me, however, when two of my members did the same, it fixed it for one guy but not the other. However, for the who did not have it fixed with the latest JRE, he just posted this in my forum:

"Changed pop-up blocker on IE7 to allow pop-ups on BCF (was asking me to allow for attachments, etc) and now preview works.......duh!! "

Hopefully this will help some.

Basil

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
I think it is IE that is rather broken. tongue tongue tongue

old hand
old hand
Like I said, so far there have been two things that have fixed it for people. 1) downloading the latest JRE and 2) fixing the popup blocker to allow popups from my site (this later one fixed it for the one fellow who did not have it fixed with th elatest JRE. So it may be that nothing is really "broken" just needing updated and or configured correctly.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You know my views on IE, so no comment :x

Turn off your Shout Box,
you will see that the problem almost dispears.

The preview hang happens once in a blue moon,
but even when it hangs i can hit the Submit button
and that takes over and my post is posted.

IE7 - v7.02

My help you to get things moving again.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I highly doubt that the shoutbox would be capable of generating that type of server lag... slow load times yes, server lag no...

Last edited by Gizmo; 01/02/2007 8:16 AM.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Mark S
Turn off your Shout Box,
you will see that the problem almost dispears.

The preview hang happens once in a blue moon,
but even when it hangs i can hit the Submit button
and that takes over and my post is posted.

IE7 - v7.02

My help you to get things moving again.

I don't have my shout box turned on.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 686 guests, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29