Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#172938 01/10/2007 1:44 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1
We are getting tons of spam messages on our message board. Any suggestions to stop this from happening?

1. Everyone needs to register before they can post.

Thanks in advance.

Missippi #172939 01/10/2007 2:16 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

If you haven't yet, you could start with:

Enable Email Verification (Control Panel » Registration Settings » Enable Email Verification?)

If that doesn't help you could:

Approve members before they're allowed to post (Control Panel » Registration Settings » Enable Registration Queue?)

When version 7.1 is released you could enable visual CAPTCHA

I'd also put all the spammers IP addresses in the ban list (Control Panel » Member Management » Ban Lists), as well as ban suspicious domains they're using in their email addresses.

These things should help a bit.


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #172989 01/10/2007 7:37 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Im assuming youre running UBB7? Sme people having issues with classic have reported several issues (somein the wrong forums) so juct making sure...

Email Verification is a very good starting option, also turning off guest posting is good as well.

The member queue is great if you havev the time and inclination to approve new member registrations.

And as said UBB7.1 has a captcha for both registration and guest posting; and should be out as a public beta within the next week or so.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #173061 01/11/2007 4:06 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
with email verification, we get virtually no spam being posted smile

Ian #173062 01/11/2007 4:09 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

Originally Posted by Ian
with email verification, we get virtually no spam being posted smile


I think I've gotten like 1 or 2 in 5.5 years cool (knock on wood!)


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #173063 01/11/2007 4:09 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
runs over to GansterBB and spams... wink

Ian #173065 01/11/2007 4:13 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Ian
runs over to GansterBB and spams... wink


tongue wink

I got "guys" to handle that! laugh


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #173078 01/11/2007 6:09 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
lol, they carry big knives?


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 166 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)