|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869
old hand
|
|
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869 |
From Provider What I have done is deactivate PHP as an Apache module as this will decrease load. My site http://clubadventist.com/forum/ubbthreads.php works ok until I do anything with it, I get this error.. This only happens with my ubb forums, not my SMF forums like www.foroadventista.comweird???
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143 |
I don't get it. Deactivating php as an apache module implies that he's making you run it as a cgi binary. And that going to DECREASE load?
Stan, RUN, don't walk, to a new hosting provider.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869
old hand
|
|
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869 |
I was able to turn that back on...
I dread moving....
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143 |
I understand. I wouldn't be a happy camper if I had to go shopping for a new web host these days. But still......
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
lol running PHP as an Apache module will be the fastest option; if your host is saying anything differant they don't know what they're talking about and I too sugguest a fast move.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057 |
Stan i think your with 1&1 Ive recently got out of there it can be tricky but it can be done. I had to leave them as they would not permit MYSQL + 100mb (uk) And i needed more than that for my forums. Find a new host, and then reduce your package to domain only. Obvioulsy everything was backed up and downloaded. I confused everything my transfering domain names to diffrent registrants which didnt help, that should have been step 2  Hope that helps. ====== Just rememebered i had to call them to activate the option to reduce the package via the contracts view. Its not there by default.
Last edited by Mark S; 01/26/2007 9:07 PM. Reason: added the little bit of text at the bottom i forgot about.
BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1 People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
Theres a decent sized thread at UBBDev about complaints with 1and1; myself and several others have used them and they're a joke...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869
old hand
|
|
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869 |
Thanks for the heads up, trouble is I have the whole server there, and this shuts them all down.. I can point the domain name where elsewhere, and install new software, I just do not know how to move the dadabase to a new area. I do have a godaddy account, and have a bunch of other domain names that I could also use a temp to get things going... or do a best test... Need sleep  Thanks everyone for your comments...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
if you actually have a lot of various domains hosted, or are truely renting a server; you should look at a more reputable provider. For VPS solutions I'd recommend someone like www.webintellects.com or www.powervps.com; for dedicated servers theres a ton of providers which actually let you run the server as you wish. As for moving things, you could always hire a webdeveloper to migrate your site(s) for you.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839 Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839 Likes: 1 |
What CP are you using - with Plesk for example there is a good migration tool built within in. Otherwise it might be easier to hire someone to do this for you 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
You know, most of those migration tools are complete pieces of crap lol... just use tar and build a solid archive by hand; at least then you know for certain what is backed up...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057 |
1&$ have there own control panel, so a import / export of a site via migrate i doubt is possible. But as Gizmo says about tar it all up  And you can backup the Databases too. You may have see there help files to find where that 1 little option is but it can be done.
BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1 People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869
old hand
|
|
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869 |
I can do a dump of the mysql, i did that of my beta forum www.adventistcafe.com and trying to bring it over as a sample move to godaddy. I have created www.adventistblog.com to test it. HOWever I am not sure how to import the database... vie mysqlphp or what ever that is called... Really appreciate the help... Ian both 1and1 and godaddy have proprietary control panels
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869
old hand
|
|
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869 |
I am not a programmer... and have trouble even spelling that word...  HOWEVER It is not clear to me, in the ubb Control panel, where we can back up the database.. why I could not do that, copy it over to new server and then import each of those files.. OR is that possible? One would think if you can back up you can restore? RIght????
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
The UBB does have a backup system, however I wouldn't use it...
If you have access to SSH (which any decent host would allow) You can do the following: MySQL Export: mysqldump -uusername -ppassword database_name > file_to_write.sql MySQL Import: mysql -h localhost -uusername -ppassword database_name < file_to_insert.sql
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057 |
Or if you go into your 1&1 control pannel navigate to database managment or phpmyadmin, i think there is a back up on that page somewhere. Its over 8 months ago now, i tryied back then to do what gizmo sugests above, but it would time out  and no dump. At the time my DB was v7.0.0 and it was 135mb so i was over quota by 35mb and this could have been part of the problem and there constrictions to perfom normal operations. You will get there.
BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1 People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869
old hand
|
|
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869 |
am pretty sure I can dump it, i just don't know how to import it to a new install...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869
old hand
|
|
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869 |
The UBB does have a backup system, however I wouldn't use it...
If you have access to SSH (which any decent host would allow) You can do the following: MySQL Export: mysqldump -uusername -ppassword database_name > file_to_write.sql MySQL Import: mysql -h localhost -uusername -ppassword database_name < file_to_insert.sql OK I read this wrong before... may try that...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
I would highly advise against using a php script (PHPMyAdmin, the UBB, etc) to create an SQL dump; especially with a large (over 100mb) database (as it will time out or in extreme cases not give you a complete database dump).
Instead, by using SSH (commands provided above) one can create the dump from the MySQL service directly (and it will be created MUCH faster).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839 Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839 Likes: 1 |
If you are not used to SSH - then download a copy of putty and run that assuming you have command line access to your hosting (not all allow this for security reasons)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
IMO if they don't allow you to utilize SSH you should go elsewhere; there are a lot of things that are made so much easier with SSH (creating an SQL dump from the command line for example).
Also, I much prefer the ssh.com client to putty.
|
|
|
|
1 members (Rick Gardner),
283
guests, and
175
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|