Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#179156 02/22/2007 5:42 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
I have a setting for it in ubbt 6.5.2. Is it gone for ubb 7.x?

I don't have a field for it in the forum settings.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Yarp #179159 02/22/2007 6:04 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
I have a setting for it in ubbt 6.5.2. Is it gone for ubb 7.x?
It is non-existant in 7


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #179205 02/23/2007 4:37 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Gizmo
It is non-existant in 7

Too bad. We use it, because our retention times differ in the fora. Some don't expire, some in 180 days, some in 90 days.

Plus we hacked it in ubb 6.0, so that every old topic goes into a html file for offline/nearline archiving purposes.

Is there a reason for dropping it or are there any plans to bring it back?


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Yarp #179206 02/23/2007 4:59 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
yeh one of my big feature requests to rick is better archiving options; i'm hoping it'll make the cut within the next few versions...

As for "missing features" the release of 7 was already a year behind, they coudlnt push it back anymore after rick recoded it fromt he ground up...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #179208 02/23/2007 5:14 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Gizmo
As for "missing features" the release of 7 was already a year behind, they coudlnt push it back anymore after rick recoded it fromt he ground up...

I know it's not a matter of "removing the feature" since ubb 7.x is complete rebuild. Let's hope it comes back again in the near future, and when it would have it's own archiving method for old topics, that would be way cool too!


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Yarp #179211 02/23/2007 5:59 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I'm hoping for one of the following:
Archive Table Type: MySQL5+ requirement, will cut the size of topics down to being miniscule, and i hear it works quite well.

Archives in a seperate table: (no mysql version requirement), would put your archived forum data into a seperate table as to cut down on any rebuilds of active content.

Archives as Flat Files: not a database hit, simply write out the content to flat files on the users system.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #179212 02/23/2007 6:00 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
BTW, i have to... moo


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #179214 02/23/2007 6:38 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Archives as Flat Files: not a database hit, simply write out the content to flat files on the users system.

We went through 3 systems.

First one put everything in html and that's it. One directoryw ith all, and that outgrew itselve. We went to storing it in a database but that outgrew also. We are now in a mixed situation, the topics are seperate html files, with a database linking them.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)