Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
I imported a classic forum last night and it appears that posts with apostrophes were cut off at the apostrophe.

Or is it an issue with the forum - when I edit the post and put the whole post in, the data doesn't change - it's still cutting off right before the apostrophe.

???


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
I've been working with someone else with a similar issue but with different characters. I've debugged it clear down to the native php level on what it's committing to mysql and it sends the whole post for the insert but it doesn't store it.

Do you have access to something like phpmyadmin on the server? If so, can you try doing an insert of the whole post in there and see if it takes?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
yes, once sec


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
hmm...

it kept truncating the text when I put it in the POST_DEFAULT_BODY, when I put it in POST_BODY all the text just showed up run together (no spaces, ubbcode didn't work, etc.). If I tried to edit the post within the forum it re-truncated.

I posted the content into POST_DEFAULT_BODY once more and then noticed in the forum the apostrophe and hyphen were giving me weird symbols - thinking it may be a character set issue I went to the control panel and changed charset from iso-8859-1 (or something like that) to utf-8

Things seem to be ok now, I can edit the post and all data stays.

I may need to re-import, but at least things are looking better, what do you think about the 'cure'?


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
I think you're probably good now. Like I said, I had the one other customer with the same issue. I'm trying to figure out if it's a certain mysql setting or version where this is a problem. Since it's doing it even through phpmyadmin with direct updates there must be something in particular with mysql or the charset.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
hmmm... I can at least edit topics and use apostrophe's, but the importer is still truncating the topics :smash:

Does the importer not use the charset of the forum?


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
the problem is classic for most people is set at

ISO-8859-1

importing into mysql with a charset of utf-8 is where the truncating is happening.

It's running on

PHP: 5.2.0

Apache: 1.3.37 (who still runs this?)

MySQL:
Server version: 5.0.32-log
MySQL client version: 4.0.20
MySQL charset: (utf8)

Not the most current versions, but meets criteria.


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
lol a lot of ensim based webhosts still use apache1.3 and mysql4.0


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Hmm, what is the collation set to on the individual UBB.threads tables?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
utf8_general_ci

for all of them.


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)