Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#184706 05/24/2007 5:15 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2
We just upgraded from 6.4.1 to 6.7.1 (thank Rick!) and noticed something with our custom user titles. The old titles from 6.4.1 carried over (which is cool) however the field in member management is blank. When I add a new user title, it appears in addition to the old title.

Is there any way to clear out the old titles or modify them?

Last edited by AdamJ; 05/24/2007 5:15 PM.
AdamJ #184710 05/24/2007 7:05 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
You tried ticking the box at the bottom of the user titiles screen to make them apply now?


Not sure if that's the right answer but maybe a try.


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
AdamJ #184712 05/24/2007 7:27 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Doesn't appear that you can from the GUI Console.

Messing with this actually produced an unwanted behavior for me.

In the Admin Console I modified the titles and said to change everyone. Now it applied and did what I told it to do, however now what I Wanted it to do. i.e. I would have wanted it to leave the Moderators and Admin titles alone, now all Moderator and Admin titles also changed to the titles for amount of posts.

I am unable to locate a method from within the GUI to allow me to restore or individually modify the current title so I assume I will have to use a MySQL statement to correct that.

Rick, Gizmo, ??? does anyone have the correct syntax and command to individually modify the titles

Thanks...

Rick, I would like to add a suggestion to 7.2 or 7.x that you have an option to ignore Moderator and Admin titles when this option in Control Panel is clicked.

.

ntdoc #184716 05/24/2007 8:33 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2
All the titles in our forum are actually custom... We use the custom titles to identify "Members" of our employee association vs. "Visitors". And then also have titles to show the various positions on our Board of Directors.

I see the custom title field in Member Management, but it's blank now. If I add a title, it appears above their old title... but doesn't replace it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I wish I understood SQL more... perhaps this will inspire me to learn!

AdamJ #184718 05/25/2007 1:07 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
nt, allow them to set their own title, become the user, set the title, then turn the feature off; one way to do it tongue


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #184731 05/25/2007 5:45 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Have not tried it in a long time but in the past becoming the user really had some odd behavior on the session files and caused login problems and similar issues.

I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes as I don't recall doing it in 7.x yet.

ntdoc #184732 05/25/2007 6:37 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I believe in 7.x it's more handled as a user custom title than anything else; worth a shot anyhow; I have noticed it's not editable in the cp, which kinda sucks (:AHEM:)


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #184734 05/25/2007 11:00 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Ok, here's the scoop. We used to have 1 title field, that held post-count titles and also custom titles. The problem was if the titles were changed and users had a custom title, there was no real way to distinguish what was a custom title and what was a post-count title. I couldn't code around this, and custom titles would be overwritten. This led to many bug reports and trouble tickets.

Post-count titles are no longer editable by the control panel for that very reason above.

The problem now is that both titles show, which leads to some confusion. What I'll do for 7.2 is add a control panel option on if it should show both titles or just 1 title. If it's set to show just 1 then if the user has a custom title it will show just that, if not it will show the post-count title.

Again, it's recommended that you not change the post-count title field in the database. There's nothing there to make it stick, as soon as the user posts again, it will change to their post-count title.

Rick #184739 05/25/2007 1:00 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Well I'm still a bit confused as Moderator and Admin were the main titles until I clicked on reset all. So if it ignores before why doesn't it ignore now? There is/was something different about those Titles as they were not custom titles and they never got overwritten before. I see no other way except to manually go in and repair it. If I removed someone from being a Moderator and put them back in what does the code do then to the Title? That's basically what I want to go in and manually do.

ntdoc #184748 05/25/2007 3:54 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Admin and Moderator are a status, and have never had anything to do with titles. When you remove a moderator and then put them back, it has never touched the title field, only the U_Status (in old versions) and USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL in the new. If your admins and moderators had Administrator/Moderator listed as a title, then someone had to manually assign that as a title to them, it's never been that way in the stock code.

Rick #184752 05/25/2007 4:10 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Well perhaps someone did but not sure how as it's not in the GUI so not really sure how they got there but I see on almost every board I've ever been on that MODERATOR/ADMINS have a Mod/Admin type of title.

I'll check it out further when I get time, thanks Rick.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)