Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
stranger
stranger
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
In Classic, there is a very useful option of allowing a user to start a new thread in a particular forum but disallow any replies---one post and that's it for the thread.

How do you set a forum to do that in v7?


"Did you click on it anyway?"
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
It's not a possibility for the time being; I too miss this feature...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
lol, that's a neat idea! i never knew it existed in classic.

/me adds to list.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Was great for utilization as a support desk (though I think it always needed an option to also only allow users to see threads they created); or building a faq...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Sounds good, i cant remember that far back lol


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
apart from Gizmo's example, I can't really see what uses this would have. I assume the mods and admins could reply to the topics though?


Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
I can think of one more say a one way "Members Letters"

But i cant remember it in classic


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
LOL - I stopped using classic when I discovered wwwthreads wink

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
stranger
stranger
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
Primarily it's used for announcements.

For instance, you have a forum for people to announce events with no problem of bumping or someone starting a flame war.

I'd love to see this feature back.

In our forum we use(d) it in three instances. One, a classifieds section (we don't want bumping), and two, manufacturer announcements (we don't want someone slagging the company), and three, events announcements (no bumping or slagging).

We don't want to have to go in and manually lock everything. And in the classifieds forum, we use locking as an indicator that the transaction is done---locking to prevent replies destroys that function.

There's no good was to do this in v7 apparently.

I don't know why this feature was eliminated—or some others for that matter!


"Did you click on it anyway?"
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 52
journeyman
journeyman
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 52
I miss this feature as well. On our site ( a Parenting Community) we have Expert Boards where our regular members can post questions, we'd love to have the option for only the moderator (or expert) be the only one that can reply.


Cara-
Community Producer at:
Canadian Parents.com Message Boards

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)