Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
stranger
stranger
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
There should be an option for a system to be configured to allow an additional "notify" by a given user after a moderator edit, that is, reset the "notify" restrictions back as if it were a fresh post.

• If the moderator makes a mistake and blows the edit on a bad post, the whistle blower can't follow up with another "notify" for an additional correction.

• We have a classifieds forum where the poster clicks on "notify" to mark the sale closed. If the poster uses "notify" first for an edit, he/she can't use "notify" again later to close the sale and instead has to rely on a PM* to a specific moderator (who might be out of town!).

*Getting to PMs from an e-mail are so inefficient now, requiring three screen loads instead of just one under Classic. Annoying. I want my one-click back!


"Did you click on it anyway?"
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
I support you on this one,
i hate the fact that 1 bad report blocks the others.

It a feature that's used, and not abused IMO.

I would like to see the Report Features handled by
say a pm rather than a e-mail for the reason that
i may log in else where and not be aware that a post
has been reported.

All moderators become participants of that Notify as a pm. wink

A work around, and its not thought of by members is
to report the post above or below frown


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
member
member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by Mark S
A work around, and its not thought of by members is
to report the post above or below frown

Unfortunately in this case it is a Classified's forum which is one post per topic (no replies). Under Classic we had it set to POST only, no replies. Which is another feature we long to have back.

Going full moderated is an option that has been explored but not put into action.


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I can see where this would be useful; but I'd like to reuest that it be an option; my forums for one are abused from this feature when it's more than one notify... It's designed to be a "report this post for abuse" button, and when used as intended my mods get 20+ reports on a single message from "lower than standard intelligence" members


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Its my hotline for gossip lol

I can see your side of it too,
but i would like to see it hooked into an "Alert" pm.
As in this modern age of wifi etc were logging on at MacDonald's
and checking things lol.

But e-mails are maybe at home as your bulk e-mail source.


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
stranger
stranger
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
Just remember, my suggestion is the post be RESET after it's edited. I'm not specifically asking to raise the limit of "notify" clicks, I just want the "notify variable" set back to "0" after a post has been edited by a moderator.

Can everyone agree that this is an improvement?

As for PMs versus e-mails, I much prefer e-mails, so perhaps there should be an "notify" option for each moderator:
• via e-mail
• via PM
• via e-mail & PM


"Did you click on it anyway?"
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by andrewpiper
As for PMs versus e-mails, I much prefer e-mails, so perhaps there should be an "notify" option for each moderator:
• via e-mail
• via PM
• via e-mail & PM
This should be a moderator setting in their preferances vs an option users can send as it'd be quite intrusive.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
stranger
stranger
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by Gizmo
This should be a moderator setting in their preferances vs an option users can send as it'd be quite intrusive.

Yes, sorry if I didn't have the terminology correct, that is what I meant. Set by the moderator to his/her preference—not the users, gag.


"Did you click on it anyway?"
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
I've thrown the notify mod system of ubb out the door and use my own system.

We only global mods, so a notify mod e-mail would go to 14 people, with no idea if somebody handled it or not.

The notify's are put in a database now, and I have some code in the header that checks if you are mod/admin and if there are any unhandled notify's and if so puts up a big red flashy banner that there are new notifications.

If one of our staff members handled a notify, they click the button, and the rest doesn't see it anymore. We also have a system to view old handled notifies.

For us, this works great. No PM, No E-Mail, but a specific notify system. In our system, users can also notify as much as they want on a single post, we kinda see it as an extra alert if a post gets lots of notify hits. Our system groups those notify's.

It has a few bugs now, that are workible. Once I get those out I intend to post it on ubbdev.

Last edited by blaaskaak; 06/27/2007 2:30 PM.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (vscope), 384 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)