Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#191111 07/14/2007 5:46 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
B
journeyman
journeyman
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
Version 7.1.1

I have users (including myself) who cannot change their avatar. To test, I went to my user profile, selected upload avatar, browsed for the file and then clicked update. I got a message saying that my profile had been updated but in fact it had not. Do I first have to delete my existing avatar, update, then browse for an avatar file and then click update or do I do something else?

Thanks,

Bill Allen


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
You *shouldn't* need to take any extra steps. You might want to check the permissions on the avatars directory and files within. It could be that it can't write or overwrite your avatar file.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
You may not have actually had the radio button clicked/enabled and any time you click save profile it will say successful.

Try again but make sure you have the button clicked again after the selection.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
B
journeyman
journeyman
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
The permission was set at 755. I changed it to 777. Was that correct?

Thanks,

Bill

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Yes, 755 was too strict and wouldn't allow for anything to be written to the directory via php.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
B
journeyman
journeyman
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
Hmmm...this still doesn't work.

I select "no longer want avatar" and click update, then select "upload your avatar", browse, select file, and click update, but the old avatar returns.

I've checked the file locations. They seem to be good.

...

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
B
journeyman
journeyman
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
I can change it as the administrator and changing the avatar by including an URL to a file I've uploaded to my PhotoBucket account. But the user still can't do it by changing his profile.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Might need you to open up a support ticket on this one so I can login as admin and via ftp and look around at a few things.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
B
journeyman
journeyman
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
O.K.

I've done that.

Thanks for your help.

Bill


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 166 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)