Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#192587 07/23/2007 8:12 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 579
addict
addict
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 579
Does anyone have any good IP address locator sites that would work with Gizzy's mod on UBBDev? I don't like the one you use Giz (sorry smile ), but after doing a search, I'm not sure that I can find a better one. frown

Rose #192588 07/23/2007 8:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
You don't like domain tools? why not? They're one of the better services I've used frown...

Theres several, just google "whois ip"; the reason I use domain tools is because it's got so many options available


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #192589 07/23/2007 8:40 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
All it's going to give you is the owner of the netblock. It's never a certain indicator of the actual location that the IP address is being used at. Some of them netblock owners/DNS admins set the PTR record with a name that's kinda close, but some don't. Thinking you've tracked the location of a poster by doing a whois on an IP address is misleading... at best.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Most will indeed just give you the netblock owner (probably 95% of them); domaintools however also checks the ip against blacklists and several other options


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #192593 07/23/2007 9:12 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 579
addict
addict
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 579
Yeah, I know about the netblock thing, but sometimes it doesn't give any location at all. Like for one person, the location was listed as "Juno". That person lives in Canada, but uses Juno.

But then I tried looking up the same IP on GeoBytes, and it showed her to be in Connecticut. So maybe domain tools isn't so bad after all. We're using it for now, so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the mod, Giz .. it's nice to have. smile

Rose #192594 07/23/2007 9:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
btw, most of the lookups just use a simple readout of what the command line says for that netblock; the maoryty of them just read the output of "dig".


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)