Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#169872 12/07/2006 3:12 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
member
member
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
I'm trying to set permissions on a linux server. The instructions talk about unix & mac servers and nt servers. I'm not sure which directions to use. Please give step by step since I've never done this before. I'm using WS_FTP. Thanks.

Last edited by tonto69; 12/07/2006 3:14 PM.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

You'll want to follow the Unix instructions.

To set permissions w/ WS_FTP, you highlight the file(s)/folder(s) you want to change, right-click, then choose chmod (Unix) from the menu.

The 3 numbers (e.g., 755) correspond with Owner/Group/Other. 7 means you check all 3 boxes (RWX) under "Owner". 5 means you check off Read and Execute (R-X). So, 777 would mean to check all the boxes. If that's too confusing, let me know... lol


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
member
member
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
Thanks for getting back to me. I think I sort of understand...What do I check off for 0666? Everything is either 0777 or 0666 so after that I think I'll understand. Thanks.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

These are what the numbers stand for:

0 = Nothing
1 = Execute
2 = Write
3 = Execute & Write (2 + 1)
4 = Read
5 = Execute & Read (4 + 1)
6 = Read & Write (4 + 2)
7 = Execute & Read & Write (4 + 2 + 1)

So 666 would be RW-RW-RW- (no Execute for any of them)


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

PS - Here is a nice little explanation and tool -- does better explaining it than I did! laugh



GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
The permission checker in the CP will tell you what needs to be 666 or 777, basically all folders are supposed to be 777 and all files 666 (for the editor to be able to edit them).

myself however, I prefer keeping all files 644 and all folders 755 as I don't use the built in editor enough to warrent allowing such permissions to be set on files.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
member
member
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
awesome thanks!

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1
Nevermind. Figured out that if the index.html file in the sessions directory had permissions set to 777 the permissions checker would allow the install to continue.

smile

Last edited by SC Dawg; 12/20/2006 1:29 AM. Reason: Found solution myself
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 15
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 15
ALl i get is a blank white page can someone help me out with permissions... I wouldbe happy to pay you via paypal if you can assistme...

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Well, it can be many things other than just permissions; but the permission set is fairly straight forward... I'll shoot you a pm.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)