Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#200891 11/08/2007 2:13 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 99
T
journeyman
journeyman
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 99
What are the intall and set-up requirements that I should make my web developer aware of? They use PHP and have mySQL. In addition, can you comment on ease of installation? They are a bit overwhelmed right now and I have a tight timeline in that my site is going live next week. I would like to have the forum ready at the same time as that release. My hope is that my web developers effort amounts to downloading software, installing it on the server, configuring it to the right sub-domain to the Web site. Then, I can do all other configurations necessary through your GUI admin.

Can someone please comment?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Basically you need to make sure the server has PHP 4.3+ and either MySQL 4 or 5.

Installation is fairly straight forward. Upload files, set permissions on files, run the install script, where you'll need to enter the database information and that's about it.

If your web developer is familiar with setting permissions and has the database info on hand, it shouldn't take more than an hour to have it installed and running.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
If PHP and MySQL are already installed and working then a UBB installation is a 20 min fresh install at most.

Customizing or setting up and creating the names of forums, etc is what will take the most time. Not that it's hard to do but because you're probably not 100% certain what names you want and sub-forums etc.

Great program and can be setup and running in at least a basic format in well under an hour.


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Additionally, if you don't feel comfortable with installing it yourself (or just not the time) you can hire a developer (such as myself, allen ayres, etc) to install it for you.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Additionally, if you don't feel comfortable with installing it yourself (or just not the time) you can hire a developer (such as myself, allen ayres, etc) to install it for you.


Groupee also provides the installation services if you want. Enough choices out there.

But I would really try installing it yourself. I've done a lot of installs, and it is really simple, and has never failed on me on any ISP I tried it on. Any time spend extra on installation is a learning curve that will pay back on a later moment.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Yarp #200918 11/08/2007 9:30 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
yeppers. Yarp™ has a good point. you really can't hurt yourself by first trying it..

smile

SD #200940 11/09/2007 10:50 AM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 99
T
journeyman
journeyman
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 99
Thanks to all these responses. I did purchase - and I did pay for install - though I wish I had given it a shot myself first after I saw the detailed instructions on the UBBCentral site. Oh well, oh well. Live and learn. This is what happens when you decide to change your forum software 96 hours before a Web launch. But, though not yet installed, I must say that - using the demo last night and this morning - I made the right choice to make the switch. UBB blows away the software I was using. I am quite psyched....

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
congrats toonarrow! smile

SD #200945 11/09/2007 1:42 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Welcome to the team! smile


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life... watching me spam :nod:


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)