Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 237
Likes: 1
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 237
Likes: 1
I am running UBBc 6.7.3 and am preparing to upgrade to Threads. As part of that process, I am setting up the scripts to backup my classic files using TAR & GZIP on a Unix server using the instructions in the Backup and/or Transfer documentation.

However, when I try to TAR the Members directory I get an error message that the Argument list is too long. I have around 15,000 members.

I am looking for suggestions on how to go about using TAR on the Members directory. I have successfully backed up all the other files and directories.

Thanks for your suggestions.


DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
You should check out this article, method 1 is the one i'd go for.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 237
Likes: 1
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 237
Likes: 1
Great suggestion! Thanks. And quick, too. smile

Do you know about how many files I can do in one command so I can set up the ranges for each group of members?


DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I'm actually unsure with the limit, I'd try splitting it in two (as mentioned in method1) and if you still get an error, split it again as needed.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 237
Likes: 1
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 237
Likes: 1
Sounds like a plan. Thanks again for the great support here.


DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, 1 invisible), 522 guests, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)