Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#201443 11/15/2007 2:11 PM
H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
I received a message from a user who's trying to register on our board. He hasn't received his welcome e-mail and when he tries to login he gets this:

"UBB Error
The email for this account has not yet been verified.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page."
--

He tried his e-mail junk folder and it's not there. His e-mail address appears legitimate since I was able to receive my e-mails.

Can anyone help me help him? Thanks.

veteran
veteran
Well if he hasn't verified his e-mail (and it's less than 24 hours since he registered) he should still be listed in the Registration Queue (CP / Member Management / Registration Queue).

If so, you can select "Approve" which will allow him to log in.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
I noticed something weird. I had the settings set to bypass the Registration Queue, but when I checked I noticed three people waiting to be let through. None of the three were the person I'm trying to help though. So that's really strange that my settings changed.

veteran
veteran
Looks like you'll have to e-mail him back and ask him to register again. At least if you do that you'll know that he can receive e-mails from your domain. Also, you could try registering yourself as a new user to make sure everything is working correctly.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
My board appears to be working, at least the whole registration process. Since I have e-mail verification on, the user probably missed the verification step and now is in some state of limbo.

veteran
veteran
So, if he registered when there wasn't a registration queue, he should have a member file. If you know what his username is you can search for him in the Member Management area and resend his password.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The registration queue is a place that pending registrations stay; when you have it off it simply houses those users which are awaiting email verification.

So where you have the registration queue disabled, you still have the email validation enabled, which utilizes this queue by design as a place for you to be able to manually approve users.

When waiting for email validation, users will be held in the queue for (I think) 24 hours.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
Gizmo,
Ok, I understand better what the queue does, but when I did a test register, all I did was click on the link on the system generated e-mail and everything seemed to work after that. I didn't have to go into the Registration Queue to approve anything.

ScriptKeeper,
I did as you suggested at the start of all this and I did find his him via a search on his e-mail. So I requested the system to send him his login information but he claimed he never got it. What's strange is when I tried searching him after 24 hrs. via his e-mail, he no longer was there. My only guess is that somehow he got in and deleted himself. Could that happen?

Anyway, I hope nothing weird is happening to my board. I'm still using 7.1.1. I hope that's ok.

-Harry

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You're not understanding still... The registration queue works in two ways, when you have the queue enabled you HAVE to approve them; when you have it disabled, they approve themselves by clicking the link in their welcome email.

As for why he's now deleted, 24 hours have passed, his registration was purged from the system.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #201526 11/16/2007 11:53 AM
H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
Still trying to understand...

Let me restate it:
1. Registration queue disabled (unchecked)
2. e-mail verification enabled (checked)

With these settings, I didn't have to approve my "test" user in the queue. As a new test user, I simply clicked on the e-mail notice from the system and I was able to login successfully.

So in this situation, can I assume my new registrant somehow "misplaced" the system generated e-mail, and after 24 hours of not responding, got deleted? That seems to make sense to me.

Also, perhaps these "no response" people get held up in the queue until they approve themselves via e-mail.

Gizmo, you said that I have to approve new registrants with these settings. So if this is the case why did my "test" registrant go through with me (admin) approving them?

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
Ooops. The last sentence ought to read:

Gizmo, you said that I have to approve new registrants with these settings. So if this is the case why did my "test" registrant go through without me (admin) approving them in the queue?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you have the registration queue disabled, you don't have to approve anyone.

If you have email verificaion enabled, users must verify their email address.

The queue holds "pending" registrations.

Thus, I register, my account is put in the registration queue, i validate my email, i'm removed from the queue because i was approved. In this instance you have the reg queue disabled so i dont have to wait for your approval; if the reg queue was on then i would have to also await your permission to join your forums.

The registration queue is like pergatory for new signups.

If I do not validate my email within 24 hours, it is purged from the system, as per design. If you think about it, it makes sense, if i'm at my computer signing up, i should have access to my computer to check my email to validate i'm not some lowlife spambot...

again, the only reason you should have to approve a user is if you've enabled the registration queue, in which case you're telling the ubb you WANT to approve every registration. If the regqueue is disabled you will NOT have to approve anyone, once they validate they're a real boy by clicking the link that is emailed to them, they will be automagically approved.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by harry
why did my "test" registrant go through without me (admin) approving them in the queue?
because the regqueue is disabled; email verifications are enabled, so users approve themselves by clicking the validation link in their email.

The registration queue and email validation features are completely differant, they simply share the same area so if you wanteed to approve them manually you can.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 802 guests, and 202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29