Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
veteran
veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
If you have Vista can you just check something for me?

In My Computer\Documents, right-click the mouse and select New. Do you have the option to create a new Text document?

I'm sure it was there but now it's not and I can't figure out how to get it back. I've checked some web sites that give the Registry values required but they are there.

Does anyone know how to add options to the Right-click\New menu?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
Yes it is there, beneath rar and other such options.

No idea on getting it back sorry frown

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Have not tried it in Vista, but I'm sure it's still quite the same as XP

Take a look at these sites and I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Right Click 1
Right Click 2
Right Click 3
Right Click 4

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
veteran
veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
"Right Click 1" looked the easiest to understand but adding the info only diaplays notepad.exe when you right-click on a folder, not clicking in open space and selecting New.

I'll keep trying.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Do you have Microsoft Office installed on that machine?

The ability to add a document I'm assuming you mean a Microsoft Word Document as there are TXT and other files types to add, and they can be added anywhere not just your My Documents folder.

If you have MS Office installed and the feature is not available you may want to try and re-install MS Office which should correct that for you. I think it needs to be MS Office 2003 though - don't know all the details but some portions of Office prior to 2003 appear to have issues with Vista according to some users.


Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
veteran
veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
Quote
they can be added anywhere not just your My Documents folder
Yes, just using the Documents folder as an example.

I'm beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with installing Notepad++.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
veteran
veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
Right, as suspected Notepad++ must have had something to do with it.

I reinstalled MS Office 2003, changed some preference settings in Notepad++ and rebooted. Now when I right-click I get the option to open a new Notepad++ Document which opens a new .txt file as required.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
Right, as suspected Notepad++ must have had something to do with it.

I reinstalled MS Office 2003, changed some preference settings in Notepad++ and rebooted. Now when I right-click I get the option to open a new Notepad++ Document which opens a new .txt file as required.

Could you be more specific as to the full issue and versions?
I install Notepad++ on all my workstations here and I have not run into any issue so far with regards to what you're talking about.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
veteran
veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
Are your workstations running Vista Home Premium?

If you're on XP I doubt that you'll have the same problem.

Basically, what I would do is right-click on a PHP file (CGI, PL, HTML, CSS, etc.) and select Open With, select Notepad++ and set it as the default editor for that file. Today I found that in Notepad++ preferences you could select file types to associate with. So it looks like doing it this way put the link back in to the right-click New menu. I don't know if repairing MS Office 2003 had anything to do with it as stupidly I did both at once to save time.

(Notepad++ 4.7.5)


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)