Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#212547 05/17/2008 4:33 AM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
I'm trying to translate some of the basic words on the forums to a different language but having real trouble finding some.

For example:

Threads

at the top of the tables here: https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

or Contact Us bottom right of every page.

Which files need editing for that?

(I have tried changing the instances I find in search but it just doesn't seem to be reflecting my changes on the front end and I feel I might be missing something).

Are some of these hard coded that being the reason I can't seem to change them?

Thanks

Old Hand
Old Hand
My easy way to find such words: I use totalcommander and do a string search (alt-f7) over all files in /language. The result list can be used to edit each file where the string was found.

my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
thanks for that interesting. But unfortunately it doesn't seem to be finding what I need to find.

Can someone tell me which file those words above that I mention are in so I can try to pinpoint this problem?

Thanks

Old Hand
Old Hand
Contact us can be changed in the control panel, general setting, primary. Threads, post, lastpost are all in the language files. You miss it while do a search.

Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
When I say contact us I mean the actual words "Contact Us", not the email address. (If thats what you mean).

I thought they were in the language files, yes, but as I said I cannot find them. If I know which file those particular words were in, it would help me troubleshoot.

Thanks

Old Hand
Old Hand
I dont mean the mail address smile The Contact Us string is in the control panel, trust me smile It is NOT in the language files.
Attachments
contact_us.jpg

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
aha! I see. Unfortunately that means that if I change it there it will be changed for all any languages, and I don't want that. So I'll just have to leave that in English (which is the main language we will use).

Thanks

I'd still like to know which files to pinpoint for the words above though if anyone can help on that.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted by willing
Threads

I found all of those searching all files at once using those terms in the Language Editor in control panel. It's working for languages I have installed...

As for "Contact Us", I agree that belongs in the language files for the reasons you mention.

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
If more than one result is ever returned from the language search and you are not sure which one is used, look at the code and see which language string is used.

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
OK I have pinpointed the file.

Some of the things I want to change, ie the top menu bar (Forum List, My Stuff etc) are in generic.php.

However, it seems I am just unable to change those to Japanese. Even if I change in admin, when I go back to the test forum it is not changing. Very confusing.

Any reason why that would be.

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
OK

generic.php file

FORUM_LIST field

I changed it to Japanese text but on the test page when I refresh it all, the English remains.
It even shows as Japanese in the php file when I downloaded it to check

$ubbt_lang['FORUM_LIST'] = 'リスト';

(I realise the Japanese doesn't display properly on here, but it does on my Japanese machine).

(I have tried changing the encoding field to both shift_jis and utf-8 but it doesn't seem to make any difference).

I can perhaps understand why the Japanese text might not appear correctly, but I cannot understand why the English is remaining! The English is gone, so why is English still showing online?

Any ideas anyone? Thanks

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Do you have two or more languages installed?

Have you updated the default one? Or updated the one that you have chosen as your language in your preferences.

If you make a change in the language file, it will be reflected in your forums, subject to you viewing that language file.

So either a) you are viewing the wrong language file under preferences or b) you have updated the wrong language tag.

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Thats what I thought, but

I have 3 languages stored.
I changed the file I mentioned above.
I then checked ALL of the language preferences online (just to make sure I was not looking at the wrong one) - and none of them had changed.

So, unfortunately, that eliminates both a) and b) above, right?

I might be incorrect in this guess, but it SEEMS that only changes I made to the generic file don't appear changed. I have successfully changed text in the portal islands and others, it's just lots of the main links etc that seem impossible to change.

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
OK I have just learnt something.

If I change the "generic.php" file in my default English folder, I can successfully change it to Japanese.
However, on the front end, whatever language I choose (in the bottom left language selector), the Japanese text remains.

So it seem that the generic.php file in the English folder is being read/used for ANY language? That seems logical explanation to me anyway. Is that setting fixed?
If not, how can I make it use the Japanese generic.php file for Japanese, the English generic.php file for English, etc?

Thanks

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
They already are - depends a) upon your default forum setting and b) on your own personal setting.

Also ensure you are not viewing cached info.

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
OK my default forum setting is english (the default one).
I changed the text on that.

My personal setting is
a) english --- shows up as Japanese
b) japanese --- shows up as Japanese
c) english-uk --- shows up as Japanese

Each time, delecting cache and IE cache between trying to set the changes.

Each setting - the Japanese text is appearing. I only changed the text in the default english generic.php.
I checked the other files now and they are English.

What does the "default" do? That I presume is the one that shows when people are guests and when I am logged in without changing the settings.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
yes - default is the one that guests and new members will see.

Open up a different browser (IE instead of FF for example) and see what they see. (ensuring you are not logged in)

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
I have just tried it on another machine that has never seen the page before and also in Firefox --- exactly the same.
No matter which of the 3 installed languages I choose, it shows the Japanese text (when I only changed it in the 1 generic file)

frown

Old Hand
Old Hand
you should try to clear your cache

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
I have. Numerous times.

(Though just to check, how do you say I should do that)

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Clear cache in the CP (towards the bottom of the list on the left)

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Done that numerous times.

frown

I'm thinking a complete reinstall to do it from scratch again.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Make sure that when you unpack you use winzip or winrar and upload using a decent ftp package to avoid corruption.

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
I use cuteftp

Is that ok?

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Should be fine. As far as I know you should upload everything in ascii except for images.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
However if you unpack badly corruption is always possible hence the need to use winzip or winrar rather than a browser.

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Will do.

Thank you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29