Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#214783 06/23/2008 3:20 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
Hi,
suddenly my users cannot longer post (UBB Threads 7.3, Windows Server, PHP 5.2.2, Firefox and IE tested).

When I click on the submit button, the session hangs for minutes. I see no activity on the server, the file system (using FileMon) or in MySQL.

Preview works. Deleting a topic also works. Only post fails. I'm not sure where else too look.

Last edited by MacW; 06/23/2008 3:20 PM.
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
Hi,

this is kinda urgent now :-(

I've checked the server logs for errors, monitored the file system for permission errors, checked UBBThreads permissions, everything.

UBBThreads just hangs the session when a user submits a form. When this happens, there is no activity on the server. It is reproducible in different browsers.

Is there any log I can enable to see what UBBThreads is doing?

Other PHP-driven web sites on the server run fine, forms submitting no problem at all.
Only UBBThreads does not longer allow to submit any form. The session just dies, locking out the user for several minutes.

Any idea?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Have you been monitoring MySQL (via show processlist) while submitting in UBB.T? May show if it's even connecting to the DB


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
The only log available would be the webserver access log, where you could see if the submit is actually getting to the webserver.

This may end up needing an advanced support ticket, since it sounds like it's going to involve some debugging.

If you're comfortable with code, debugging usually involves tracking down where it's hanging, so you'd add some code that prints out a message and then exits at certain points. You'd keep moving that code down in the script until you can no longer see the message, and you'll know where it's dieing.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
Hi,

yes, the database works. Only submits don't work. For example, I can delete log files in the Admin, but not use the "resend verification email" function. As soon as I press submit, the session is dead...

I see the initial request to /admin/membermanage.php in the log file on the server. But when I press submit, nothing happens any more on the server.

And all this happened suddenly, without installing an upgrade or anything. And only UBBThreads fails...

Last edited by MacW; 06/25/2008 1:08 PM.
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
Hi, Rick

the submit does reach the server.
Because when I restart the IIS to "unlock" the browser, the post is available. So the submit does whatever it has to do, but the request never returns to the browser. The browser just sits there and waits forever for the submit to return...

The funny thing is that it sees to be only the submit.
I can delete forum posts. I can also reply to posts.
But when I have to press a submit button (e.g. while creating a new post), the problem occurs...

Any idea?


Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
And when I wait the session "out" (until the browser finally received a reply), UBBThreads seems to dump some internal information instead of returning a proper page. What I see in the browser is:

array(6) { ["USER_REAL_EMAIL"]=> string(7) "removed" ["USER_LANGUAGE"]=> string(7) "english" ["WATCH_TYPE"]=> string(1) "f" ["USER_DISPLAY_NAME"]=> string(5) "User" ["USER_TIME_OFFSET"]=> string(2) "-1" ["USER_TIME_FORMAT"]=> string(13) "d/m/y | h:i A" }

This cannot be correct. But I have no idea where else to look.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
This looks like a security problem in UBB?!
UBBThreads should not dump personal information like user names, email adresses etc to the browser, right?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
That array line is some debug info I left in on accident, and an upgrade to 7.3.1 will clear it up.

However, that does lead to a bit of a clue. Basically, that line is where it checks to see if someone needs to be emailed. I'm curious if it's possibly a delay in talking to your mailserver. The script has to wait until the mail is sent out.

Do submits that do not send out mail work ok? Like submitting a new calendar event?

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
if sendmail is screwed, the mail() function in php hangs. i've run into that before.

the timeout is 30seconds and can cause uber-havoc frown

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
Hi, Rick

that's a hint. I'll check this. I know that "new user" registration emails go out OK, but perhaps the mail server does not respond when UBBThreads wants to send an email while posting. I'll check that tonight.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
M
newbie
newbie
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 29
It seems to be the mail server?
I'm running IIS on Windows 2003 64-Bit

I can send emails by telnet, but UBB threads cannot send emails. I have configured the smtp options in php.ini correcly (server and port).

Interestingly, blat also fails to send emails from this server, wit the "message not accepted" error message. But I can send emails by telnet. Any idea?


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)