Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
O
newbie
newbie
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
I am having trouble with group permissions and getting very confused. I am sure it is quite obvious once you know, but can someone explain exactly what this means as it is not clear to me:

"If a user belongs to multiple groups, a ⇑ indicates the user will get the highest permission, a ⇓ indicates they will get the lowest."

The codes above seem to be an up and down arrow symbol.

Thanks

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
O
newbie
newbie
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
OK been playing with this without any luck. What I want is for default "user" group (the group that people join when they are first approved) to have no access to PMs.

So, for "user" group in Site Permissions I have it setup so:

Total # of private topics allowed: 0
Max # of private topic participants: 0

I also have a group called Group A:

Total # of private topics allowed: 5
Max # of private topic participants: 20

I have it so that when people have posted 10 posts, they automatically get put into Group A. So as far as I know, that should work. But it isn't. When I approve a new member, they get put into "user" group, but they can use PMs.

I tried putting -1 instead of 0, but as everyone remains in the "user" group, that shut down PMs for everyone - and I don't want to do that.

Anyone able to identify what I am doing wrong there?

Thank you.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
First thing I'd do is just do a check to make sure the users are actually being added to group A.

It might be best if you can open up a support ticket. We're still working on the best way to give support on the permission system, because it can be quite complex when starting out. The easiest thing will probably be for us to login as an admin to see exactly what's going on and go from there.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (SteveS, vscope), 455 guests, and 117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)