|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30
Old Hand
|
|
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30 |
Hi, Finally when my ISP provider offers an upgrade I see the oppotunity to upgrade my self to UBB threads. Now after the ISP server change I cannot call any UBB scripts without getting a HTTP 404 NOT FOUND message. My forum url is http://www.britbike.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgiAll other non UBB scripts that I use on my website works just fine. I now this is not a pure issue for this forum however If I can resolve my problem then I can upgrade to UBB Threads. Oh yes I used Classic 6.7.3. Please help if you can, I have issued a ticket to my ISP provider too. Thanks in advance Morgan
Last edited by Morgan; 09/08/2008 4:29 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2 |
I'd double-check the URL, and it's quite possible the new server isn't set to allow cgi script access outside the cgi-bin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30
Old Hand
|
|
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30 |
Thanks for your response, I have other cgi scripts like webadverts that are outside the cgi-bin and it works fine I need to add that on my main page at http://www.britbike.com/main.htmlI have earlier placed a content island java script and it works fine. It shows the 15 latest posts. it is strange to me that it works.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143 |
I think I found it, Morgan.
Is it http://www.britbike.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=009982;p=1#000007
That doesn't give me a 404, but it does indicate a permissions problem if I got it right.
I'm also thinking the permissions on the config file in the non cgi directory are not right as that file seems to have the wrong URL and is redirecting to the wrong place.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30
Old Hand
|
|
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30 |
It seems that they use PHP Version 4.4.8 I think I need to getcknowlegde how to create a .htaccess that force it to use Perl 5
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30
Old Hand
|
|
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30 |
Found below answer on a FAQ
Question:
Can I run CGI scripts in a directory other than the cgi-bin directory?
Answer:
For security reasons, we recommend that you run your CGI programs from the provided cgi-bin directory, which was created for that purpose. However, although we discourage the use of CGI programs outside of the cgi-bin, you can do so through the use of a .htaccess file.
Software:
Apache, Perl
Detail:
You will need to create a .htaccess file in the directory that you want the scripts to be run and tell it to allow the directory to run CGI scripts and what kind of files are CGI scripts.
Solution:
You will want to create an .htaccess file in the directory that you want to allow the CGI scripts to run. In the .htaccess file you want to add the following information:
Options ExecCGI Includes FollowSymLinks
AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl <Limit GET POST> Order Deny,Allow Deny from none Allow from all </Limit>
This will allow cgi scripts ending with .pl and .cgi to be run. You will need to make sure that your scripts have execute permissions as well.
I did above and uploaded to the ubb/cgi-bin without any result at all Still now reply from Web.com
Last edited by Morgan; 09/09/2008 8:00 AM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30
Old Hand
|
|
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30 |
Hi again WEB.COM changed "cgi-bin" to "bin" Here is what they wrote Quote-------- Dear Morgan Johansson, Thank you for contacting Web.com Technical Support regarding ubb. The cgi-bin directory within the html directory is the problem. We have copied the ubb/cgi-bin directory to ubb/bin and if you go to: http://www.britbike.com/ubb/bin/ultimatebb.cgi or http://www.britbike.com/ubb/bin/cp.cgi You will see that they work with no issues. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. ---------unquote I will now try to make WEB.COM to make a fix so I can use "cgi-bin" and the forum because all links on internet points to that directorey. Just because WEB.COM copied the "cgi-bin" to "bin" does not mean the forum works as when I try to login it will reply this page is not found because the script takes you back to "cgi-bin" directory. If WEB.COM don't allow to use "cgi-bin" then how can I change the path and urls so that I can login to the CP and forum and so it can open up all threads again. I know this is the old classic UBB 6.7.3 but would be ever so happy for correct advice.Cheers Morgan
Last edited by Morgan; 09/10/2008 11:37 AM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30
Old Hand
|
|
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30 |
Will it work if I edit path and url from /ubb/cgi-bin to /ubb/bin for the CGI-BIN and the Vars?
Is there any other things that must be changed???
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294 Likes: 2
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294 Likes: 2 |
It should as it is looking for the proper path to the files it needs I thought you had done that when they changed the URL for you.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30
Old Hand
|
|
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30 |
No have not because I want them to fixso i can use the html/ubb/cgi-bin as cgi-bin and variables directory.
Since many sites link to the /ubb/cgi-bin forum directory and google and other search engines does too then it's pain for me to use another directory.
My last option is to change directory name from /ubb/cgi-bin to for example /ubb/bin
So would it work if I just change the url and path to /ubb/bin in the vars_config.cgi file???
thanks for your help
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30
Old Hand
|
|
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30 |
I read the prividers instruction about adding a .htaccess file into my /html/ubb/cgi-bin containg following data
Options ExecCGI Includes FollowSymLinks AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl <Limit GET POST> Order Deny,Allow Deny from none Allow from all </Limit>
I uploaded that yo the directory but it failed, i get no help from the provider so now I need to make a decission soon how to handle it.
Is there any risk with moving to a /html/ubb/bin directory from a /html/ubb/cgi-bin directory. Sorry to be a pain but I am misserable right now. Thanks for any help
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30
Old Hand
|
|
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090 Likes: 30 |
I have testes to change path in the ubb/bin vars_config.cgi file and I could login to the forum and cp. However the /ubb/noncgi/ultimate.php or any php files DO NOT WORK so I cannot open any threads..
any clue??? please assist if you can
Thanks Morgan
Last edited by Morgan; 09/10/2008 2:28 PM.
|
|
|
|
1 members (Rick Gardner),
283
guests, and
175
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
|
|