Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
We just installed the latest update and are having problems not being able to see the message.

See this: Link that shows problem

It seemed like some kind of permissions problem but that did not seem to be a way to solve it.

Any ideas?

Anyone???

According to what you have for your general forum description is a couple of problems. Guests can't see the topics.
And I assume a problem with threaded vs flat mode.
For the guest issue I would check
Control Panel » Group Management » Forum Permissions
For guests.
There are two settings "can see forum" that looks like it is okay. But it should have a value of 1 for each forum you want enabled for guests.
The second setting to the right "Can read topics"
Should have a value of 1 for each forum you want them to see.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
They were all set correctly and the messages are still NOT coming up.

Could there be some problem in the database?

If you are logged in, it will let you switch modes and THEN most of the time it will correct itself and the messages show up.

So far all the mods can see the messages but a number of users cannot.

A couple of people have said that they have tried switching modes a few times and have still not been able to see the message but most people have said that this seems to have fixed the problem.

Basically if you are a guest, it is locking the messages away from your view and does NOT pay attention to the forum permissions settings.

Well as a guest I can see the forum summary, I can see the forum topic headers. But when i select a thread I get the same thing no thread.
I registered as rer.
I assume the default group is USER.
Now it looks like the board is closed to the USER group because I get the message that there are no forums to view.
If I log out I am back to what I saw before. So I think it is a permissions issue.
I see two options. Completely go through every setting for forums and groups.
You could just pick one forum and one group. Check what group I am a member of.
Or open a support ticket to fix the problem.
I am not sure what you upgraded from but I have seen issues with upgrading from threads 6 to 7 where most everyone is imported as a moderator instead of a user. I think Rick has a simple query to fix that issue without loosing the real moderators.

Blue Man Group
I've stayed relatively up to date. We had 7.4 installed before this.

My other admin guy is working on the site, so he might be testing out the permissions.

Read my private message I sent you.

Blue Man Group
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
I'm the tech guy. I've been looking at the DB. I have a couple standard permission users. I got one to change from no post bodies to showing the post bodies by doing the switch back and forth in my preferences from and to threaded posts. Then I had another normal user that was not showing posts. I compared them. I found that by putting default values of 'english' in user_language and 'side' in user_post_layout for the user that was having problems, it fixed it. I updated users that had these values as nulls. However, that hasn't seemed to fix the guest account when I do it to user 1.
I've checked permissions carefully. They don't seem to be the problem.
I'll be staring to debug next.
This was a standard upgrade to 7.4 done the same way I've done others.

It really looks like permission settings are causing the problem. another example is if I select active topics I get a error"Database error only visible to forum administrators"

Of course that permission issue could be caused by a corrupted table.
Not sure if you want to start over with a upgrade but If you are sure all of your permissions are set correctly then the best bet is to open a support ticket.

Blue Man Group
Things are starting to look better. I can see topics and threads now.

Currently Guest have the old problem but You may not have been through all the permissions yet.

Permissions?

Last edited by Ruben Rocha; 12/15/2008 8:18 PM.

Blue Man Group
My issue is gone now also.

Blue Man Group
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
OK, I've looked further. At least one item is a real problem (bug?/Feature?)

Ruben created an account. He magically had moderator powers, but couldn't see any forum. Apparently, if you do not have any default groups set that a person becomes a member of when they register, the system finds a group ( it appears to be random, but the random value is always the same. In our case everyone that registered became a moderator. That's not good. When I set the flag in the registration settings for all registered users to become part of the "user group" that disappeared.

I still have a problem that when a user is created, by default the default values for user_language and user_post_layout are null. When they are null, post contents don't show. When the language is set and user_post layout is set, posts contents are visible. There does not appear to be any settings anywhere that create a default value for these fields. I don't know how to fix this issue.

I still have an issue with the "guest" user.

Don't know where to start here but will start with new registered users.
» Control Panel » Registration Settings
"Default Group(s) for New Members: " Should have a selection for what the default group new registrations are assigned to.
It should have been assigned already from ver7.4.

When you say everyone that registered are you saying registered after the upgrade or before the up grade.
If it is before the upgrade you have a problem and may need a trouble ticket. If after the upgrade by setting the default usere group that problem should go away.

User language is set during the install but can be set at:
» Control Panel » Languages
You can only use one language. Check if it is selected.

Default User post layout:
» Control Panel » Display Options
Topic Display Options
Should set the deault settings.
» Control Panel » Registration Settings
Flat or Threaded:
Allows the user to change the settings.

Blue Man Group
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Problem solved, but wierd issues.

When you set the forum default language, that doesn't mean that the language value will be set for all users in the DB. It's a global setting and not something written to the DB when a new user is created. I didn't change anything for default groups that a user belongs to. I don't know how that was set to nothing. All users before the upgrade went to group 4 (users), after the upgrade they went to group 3 (moderators). That was because somehow no default group was set.

I maintain a secondary domain running out of the same database for reasons that aren't needed here. It works as long as the config file is set correctly. Anyway, that site worked. So, it wasn't the DB. In the end there was some sort of weird interaction with the content islands/gallery and the forums we had messed up. Since I solved the problem by copying some files from the duplicate installation, I don't have the exact solution.

Suffice it to say, that this ended up being a complex set of interactions. I really appreciate those that worked to help out. This issue can be closed out.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29