Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#221421 01/22/2009 9:35 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
old hand
old hand
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
Rick,
My forum was hacked last night and the forums table was deleted. That plus the Islamists who did it left their calling card (that's how I know they were Islamists - because they said so. My server management company ( I lease a dedicated server) suggested that I run phpsuexec but cautioned that some php scripts don't work with that running. Do you know whether threads will work with phpsuexec?

Basil #221446 01/22/2009 8:22 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Threads will work, Basil. You'll need to be aware that you need to change some permissions on things such as uploads and photo album directories. The permissions checks on the upgrade scripts might not handle phpsuexec properly. I haven't actually read them to confirm this, that's off the top of my head. I also think some of the upload functions chmod the files it uploads. Those can probably, and should probably, be re-examined and have the permissions tightened for phpsuexec.

Basically phpsuexec makes php run more like old skool perl under apache suexec and less like mod_perl. (that was an over simplification and probably misleading!) I am very much in favor of a wrapper to run php this way.

Last edited by David Dreezer; 01/22/2009 8:23 PM. Reason: clarification

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
old hand
old hand
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
Thanks David. I have it installed now. So far so good!

Basil #221538 01/23/2009 2:49 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
I think it still worth having Rick weigh in on the permissions checks that the upgrade scripts do, and on whatever permissions change operations that they uploaders do.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
old hand
old hand
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
I think it still worth having Rick weigh in on the permissions checks that the upgrade scripts do, and on whatever permissions change operations that they uploaders do.

Rick gave me some info in a PM that he didn't see any problems except possible problem if I was using Imagmajik. I am using that for images, but so far no issues.

Basil #221562 01/24/2009 2:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Basil,
I am curious how this works out because my host suggested the same thing.
I was afraid to try it due to the permission change requirements that I read about.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #221573 01/25/2009 2:08 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
old hand
old hand
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by Ruben Rocha
Basil,
I am curious how this works out because my host suggested the same thing.
I was afraid to try it due to the permission change requirements that I read about.

So far I've not run into any problems - so far.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Phun), 259 guests, and 127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)