Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
stranger
stranger
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
I seem to be having an issue with setting my directory. Here's what is happening:

From the Control Panel, under: Profile Settings >> Avatars. I enter the directory path i.e. C:\whatever\whatever\whatever and hit the "click to test directory" link. The message says "Directory exists and is writeable. Test passed."

When I "Update Profile Settings" the screen refreshes and the back slashes stripped from the path leaving me with (C:whateverwhateverwhateverare). When I hit the "click to test directory" link again, it says "Directory does not exist! Test failed. Either the directory was not found or cannot be written to by the web server."

I'm on a Windows NT VPS...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brendan


Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
If the forum itself is working just peek at your paths for the forum.
Control Panel ยป DB, Paths & URLs
Absolute PATH to Main Directory:
That should give you a clue for the proper path.

I can't seem to remember now but I think the paths still should be a forward slash with a windows box.

Last edited by Ruben; 03/03/2009 1:06 PM. Reason: Added comment

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Use double /'s vs a \ so the php "stripslashes" doesn't make mincemeat out of your paths. C://whatever//whatever//whatever

Last edited by Gizmo; 03/03/2009 1:22 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
stranger
stranger
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
Thanks for the tip about using forward slashes. It keeps the path as specified. However two more questions:

1) Does it matter where I create the folder? More specifically does it "have to be " a sub-folder of the "forum" folder?

2) Either way (I've tried it both ways) is there another setting that needs to be enabled because my users do not see this option even though everything appears to be set correctly now?

Thanks,
Brendan

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
1. no it does not matter you can place it pretty much anywhere.
2. You need to add the permission to the groups you want to allow. In site permissions."Can upload an avatar "

Last edited by Ruben; 03/03/2009 2:13 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
stranger
stranger
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
That's all I needed... working fine now. I really appreciate all the help!


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (SteveS, vscope), 455 guests, and 117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)