Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Hi there,
We just moved to a new physical server (3x grid setup) in order to have the msg board search function work again (older mysql on previous server).

Search is now working, however, a new issue has popped up and I am not clear how to track it down and correct.

Basically, if a user goes into a forum with mutiple unread topics...when they read 1 of those unread topics and then revisit the forum (to read other unread topics)..all topics have now been marked as read.

I renamed the cookie prefix, cleared the cache, etc. to try and correct this but no luck.

I wasn't sure if there was another obvious thing to reset what is marking the read vs. unread topics, but would appreciate any help on solving this (esp. as to where the list of unread topics is stored so I could try to further track it down).

thanks
Less

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You're saying that when a user enters a forum the forum is marked as read? if so, that's stock behavior.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
You're saying that when a user enters a forum the forum is marked as read? if so, that's stock behavior.

I might have mistyped, but what I mean is that the all the unread topics are suddenly marked as read. I.e. if you enter a forum and see 10 topics with new posts, if you click into 1 topic to read it, and then go back to the forum, instead of 9 unread topics...you now have no topics marked as unread.

This was not the case prior to moving to the new server. I should add that this server is a grid server, meaning instead of 1 physical machine, the msg board code lives in duplicate on 3 machines, all pointing to a backend SAN for the mysql database.

My concern is this may be the reason for the problem, but it seems the unread topics should be kept on the client or in the db itself, and not cached on the server in memory (hopefully).

thanks

P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
We're having the same problem and can't figure out what to do.
http://www.insidepulse.com/ubbthreads/

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What version of UBBT are you running?

Do you mean that all the indicators within the forum now show read, or the parent folder of the forum now shows as read?

If the parent folder shows read that is true and normal behavior for 7.x If you mean within the same forum then that is not normal behavior and would appear to be an issue on your system as I don't experience that on any version since at least 7.2.2

P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Originally Posted by ntdoc
What version of UBBT are you running?

Do you mean that all the indicators within the forum now show read, or the parent folder of the forum now shows as read?

If the parent folder shows read that is true and normal behavior for 7.x If you mean within the same forum then that is not normal behavior and would appear to be an issue on your system as I don't experience that on any version since at least 7.2.2

We're running v7.2.2, and I mean all the indicators within the same forum are showing read.

For example: two threads within the parent folder show new replies. I read one thread, then go back to the parent, but now BOTH threads are marked as read (i.e., not showing that I have new replies). BIZARRE, but exactly the same problem bengoshi is describing above.

Any idea where we should look in order to fix this? It's not the only problem we've had since we upgraded to 7.2.2, but one of the more annoying ones. (Another problem seems to possibly be related: when clicking on the thread that has new replies, I'm not taken to the new replies, but instead am taken to the last page of the thread.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That really sound like a cookie or cache problem to me.

I'm running 7.2.2 on a reasonably large site and I don't have that issue.

Try deleting your cookie for the site and use Firefox for the browser. Also in the Control Panel on the left side near the bottom you can clear your cache there and see if that helps.

Give that a try and then let us know if you're still having this issue.

Are you on Linux host or Windows host?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wait a minute... pulsemm are you on the same site as bengoshi?

If not then you need to open your own topic as you're hijacking his with different information which is not cool.

Thanks

P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
So sorry! I'm not on the same site as he; I just had the same issue, and didn't see an answer to his problem so thought I'd commisserate!

I'll try your suggestions and let you know. Much apologies.

G
G Offline
We're getting the same problem on v7.3.

aka Olle Johansson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hope this is not considered a hijack, but no solution was posted here.

My site has just been bitten with the same problem.

Here's the scenario leading up:
Two nights ago, I get an email from my web hosting service saying my domain has just been created, then a second saying my client account had been created. 33 hours later I get this:
"The validity period of the client account 'whitney1' has expired. The client account and all related domains were deactivated on Sun Sep 13 2009."

It appears to me the web hosting service moved my database to a new server. I have not requested anything from them for many months, so all of this action was initiated by them. (I'll be calling them Monday morning to inquire.)

However, the forum, which is running v7.1, has just acquired these symptoms described above. And in addition, when I click on a thread title, where the Firefox URL ends in #UNREAD, it goes to the first post, and NOT the unread posts at the bottom. In fact, there is no id=UNREAD tag in the posts displayed.

I have tried the Control Panel "Clear Cache" option, as well as within Firefox, Tools, Options, Privacy, "remove individual cookies", located my website, and clicked "remove cookie" on all five cookies for the web site. But I still have the problem. Users are complaining as well.

I do hope there is a simple solution to this.

...I'll post more info after I talk with the hosting service people.

Last edited by Steve C; 09/14/2009 2:31 AM.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
My first guess would be some sort of permission issue. I'd run the Permission Check in the control panel and make sure that all comes back as Ok.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Oh my! EVERY permission shows FAIL!

I am amazed the board is even running.

Now, I am not sure what needs changing. Sure hope someone can help.

Sheesh! Looking via ftp at the site, there are many files that have a date/time of 9/12/09 1:50 AM (MM/DD/YY format), with owner read/write access ONLY.

Last edited by Steve C; 09/14/2009 12:45 PM.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Can someone give me a little help here. For example, my cache directory shows attributes at: -rwxr-xr-x

And within the cache folder, files all show -rw-r--r--.

What are the attributes on a properly working site?

Thanks in advance.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Looks like they actually moved your forums then and not just the database.

Directories you'll want to chmod 777.

Files within those directories you'll want to chmod 666.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks Rick.
> Directories you'll want to chmod 777.

Hah! I don't get to run unix commands on their server at all. But WS_FTP does a nice job of setting the properties of directories and files.

I set the cache, cache_builders/custom, log and sessions directories to that 777 level, and used the WS_FTP option to apply the same to files. And the board appears to be running perfectly.

I have not touched all the other directories that show "FAIL" in the Permission Checks screen.

I am trying to get the Hosting service people to tell me what happened. Tech support implied they had been emailing site admins occasionally over the past 6 months regarding the migration. But I never got anything from them until the new server auto-generated several emails. eek

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 541 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29