Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#235447 03/09/2010 9:22 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
After 10 years with Nextel, the last 5 with the same phone, finally made the switch to Verizon and their moto Droid. And I can't be happier. Haven't noticed any dead spots and the wireless modem deal is much better. Might be good enough to FTP with. All of the Android aps available make a big difference. 5MP photos with flash and HD videos for Youtube. I knew a phone with a standard 16GB micro SD card had to be a good sign. This is nice stuff. smile

I'm even able to post on a UBB forum with the native browser.

Harold #235455 03/09/2010 10:33 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 327
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 327
I'm typing this reply on my new Motorola Droid. :-) UBB is pretty easy to use on these things, but mobile templates would be fabulous.

Oh, and it's pretty sweet that it has wifi smile

Last edited by DLWebmaestro; 03/09/2010 10:36 PM.
DLWebmaestro #235463 03/09/2010 11:07 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 391
addict
addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 391
Harold, I've been a Verizon customer for many years and have always had great coverage and support. As far as the wireless aspect, I use their MiFi and FTPing files is very good, but sometimes I do get some time outs from it. But, the speed is excellent overall. I have the 5gig plan and haven't even come close to that limit even with 2 of us using it all the time.


Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
GregK #235464 03/09/2010 11:34 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
I just got the HTC Droid and I will tell you. Linux in a cell phone is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I love the HTC Droid and I can do anything with it I can do with my laptop.

JAISP #235465 03/10/2010 12:03 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
I'm waaaay behind the times. I do maybe two texts a week, and use the phone as a phone. I've taken a couple of pictures for wallpaper. I don't do anything else with it!


Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #235466 03/10/2010 12:59 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I'm with Steve; though it's more because I can't afford a do it all phone tongue


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #235471 03/10/2010 12:55 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
my moto droid is being delivered today (htc eris)

how are you tethering it to use it as a modem? verizon doesn't allow that I thought?

on my onmia, I use WMwifirouter, which is awesome, but they don't have a droid app yet.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235474 03/10/2010 1:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
The HTC Eris Droid does not need to be tethered to use as a modem to surf the internet. It accepts all type of site and https certificates with the stock browser.

You and size the screen by simply touching the screen with two fingers and moving them apart to toward each other to magnify or reduce the screen on a web site.

You will love the phone it is a great phone. Better then the iPhone for sure as I have had the chance to use one of them too.

JAISP #235480 03/10/2010 3:26 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
I'm buying a Nexus One today. And throwing the iPhone into the trash.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
JAISP #235481 03/10/2010 5:38 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by JAISP
The HTC Eris Droid does not need to be tethered to use as a modem to surf the internet.


maybe I misunderstood, I thought I read that it was being used as a wireless modem for a laptop.

I realize I can surf the web from the phone, I want to use my phones data connection on my laptop.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235484 03/10/2010 7:33 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
I'm using my Motorola Droid with PdaNet for my Windows laptop.

www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php

And instructions here:

www.junefabrics.com/android/faq.php

Been working well so far. smile

Harold #235485 03/10/2010 8:04 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 186
member
member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 186
Thanks for the links Harold.

Harold #235531 03/11/2010 6:06 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Harold
I'm using my Motorola Droid with PdaNet for my Windows laptop.

www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php

And instructions here:

www.junefabrics.com/android/faq.php

Been working well so far. smile


I found that one, haven't tried it yet (phone didn't show up till today) how well does it work?


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235532 03/11/2010 6:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
I like it a bunch. Has enough juice to load up all 10 homepage tabs on FF with no problem. This is free unless you need secure, then you gotta pay up.

Harold #235533 03/11/2010 7:21 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
[Linked Image from speedtest.net]

Maybe I won't be FTPing UBB updates. I'm still happy with the big speed increase over Nextel.

Harold #235534 03/11/2010 7:31 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
how the hell do I transfer files from my PC to the phone? was this thing supposed to come with any software? it doesn't show up in windows mobile center in win7.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235535 03/11/2010 7:35 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
Somewhere in the phone there's an option to mount. Then you can move photos and videos on and off and delete after offloading to your computer. Click "Market" on the home screen to download and install aps.

Harold #235538 03/11/2010 8:42 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
I found it. having a hell of a time getting my contacts sorted out, why can't I sync without look... having to upload all my contacts to my gmail account is something I didn't want to do, makes editing them a pain in the ass, as I keep them all in outlook, now I have to update them in multiple places.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235543 03/11/2010 11:58 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Maybe that's why I just use my phone to call people!


Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Bad Frog #235550 03/12/2010 7:18 AM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
so far I am happy with it. like I said, my only major gripe is syncing, the rep at the verizon store said it could sync with out look, but I haven't been able to do that and have found no supporting evidence that it does online anywhere. (unless you have an exchange server)

I ordered a Skinomi TechSkin - Invisible Screen Protector Shield for it, as well as an extra set of cables and chargers.
that was something else I was surprised by, I thought it used a standard USB mini b connector like the older HTC items, as that is supposed to be standard, and it doesn't. also found a "carbon fiber" snap on case for it. I don't like the rubberized cases as they don't slide smoothly in and out of pockets, etc.

I stayed up till midnight fussin with it last night, playing with apps, etc, 5:00 this morning came way too soon, and I have a lot of driving to do. going to be a long day. glad tomorrow is saturday!


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235576 03/12/2010 8:35 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Nexus One baby! *happy dance*


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
David Dreezer #235585 03/13/2010 5:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
And here I thought iphones were required in your office.

Harold #235586 03/13/2010 5:19 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
My insinct died last night and just picked up the HTC hero with droid in it

Harold #235587 03/13/2010 6:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Originally Posted by Harold
And here I thought iphones were required in your office.


We have two nexus one users now, and two andriods. There are still 7 iPhone users.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
David Dreezer #235588 03/13/2010 7:41 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
I just found a leaked build of android 2.1 for the eris, tempted to install it, but think I will wait till the official build comes out, which should be soon, was promised for 1st quarter 2010.
though reading all the posts, no seems to have had a problem with it yet, but it is still too soon to tell a far as I am concerned.

if verizon doesn't post the official rom as promised, then I will try it out.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235591 03/14/2010 8:39 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
If it works are you going to let us in on it too?

JAISP #235592 03/14/2010 8:48 AM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
you can check out the thread here, http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112930
no one has reported any major issues from what I have read so far.

this is only for the HTC Eris droid phone


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235594 03/14/2010 11:28 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Thanks. That's the phone I have.

I have found many useful apps by clicking the market icon then putting in my Google account information. Most all are free too.

I love the bar code scanner. I found the car charger the cell store was selling for $38 for $6.99 online. Found many other things for better prices as well too.

I downloaded quite a few apps but the most important is the TaskKiller app that you can turn off the stuff your not using when finished with it so it is not dragging down your battery as fast.


JAISP #235595 03/14/2010 2:16 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
That and the ssh client are the first things I installed, Dave.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
David Dreezer #235596 03/14/2010 2:41 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
I was using taskiller, but went with advanced task manager pro.
I also went with "better Keyboard" to replace the stock one.

I have been playing around with several apps trying things out. having a lot of fun with it so far :-)


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235599 03/14/2010 9:48 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
My wife and I are going to try geocaching with the c:geo app. This has been something she has wanted to do for several years, but I had been too cheap to buy a real GPS unit.

Harold #235601 03/15/2010 9:03 AM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
I just discovered that my TomTom has the ability to do that, I just found an option got entering coordinates, never even knew it was there!

my omnia had GPS and I had some good software for it, but the battery life was horrible. I want to see how the Eris does recording tracks, etc when I go for a hike or run.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235606 03/15/2010 12:01 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
HAH! even though the phone has a funny shaped USB connection, you can still use a mini-b cable.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235609 03/15/2010 12:14 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
I found that out too on the USB. It totally chews up the power though when using GPS and tracking.

JAISP #235610 03/15/2010 12:19 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
I have found it is possible to sync with outlook, without having to use google at all. though now that I have migrated everything over, I may stick with google for now, at least till the next time I have to set up the phone again, like when I put 2.1 on it.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/15396-my-tutorial-syncing-eris-outlook-without-google.html


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235620 03/15/2010 2:52 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
W
stranger
stranger
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
I use Sprints wireless modem for my laptop and I'm sort of satisfied. You've got to deal with the slow periods which are doing work hours (which is when I need it most) and at night or early morning is when it is fastest. I'm waiting for 4g coverage in my area.

wells301 #235638 03/16/2010 2:26 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
If anyone wants to add me on lattitude, PM me. Need some people to play with these features

Side note, I can't post using opera mini


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235639 03/16/2010 3:08 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
Opera mini beta 5 seems to be a little better.

Sending PM just for the heck of it.

Harold #235649 03/16/2010 7:27 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Harold
Opera mini beta 5 seems to be a little better.

Sending PM just for the heck of it.
that is what I have installed, and on my site at least, I was unable to post, it went through the motions, but when I hit submit, the page would refresh, and the post would never be there, I use the default browser, it works fine.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235650 03/16/2010 7:49 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
has anyone got flycast to work on a google phone?


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
David Dreezer #235651 03/16/2010 7:53 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Is that anything like the flying cursor fly I keep try to swat. crazy


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #235652 03/16/2010 10:19 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
apparently flycast doesn't work on the eris yet...


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235731 03/24/2010 12:07 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
wow Harold, you certainly get around from day to day! I keep checking to see if you are anywhere up this way, lol.

have you tried any of the other GPS apps? I am liking Gowalla so far, and have been playing with Footprints


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235734 03/24/2010 1:17 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235738 03/24/2010 8:06 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
I get paid by the mile. wink

Just the myposition, c:geo, gps status, and I'm playing on Foursquare with updates sent to twitter and facebook. When I find the time in between UBB upgrades, I want to set up word press on my site and try to use it as an aggregator of my social network stuff plus my moblog.

I kind of doubt I end up way over by you. smile The farthest east I have been would be Allentown, PA this winter. I've also been an hour east of I95 in North Carolina this spring too.

I think it's kind of neat to see where you stop for fast food and stuff like that.

I'll try those two you listed up there and see how they do.

Harold #235854 03/28/2010 1:35 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
i just put the latest developer version of android 2.1 on my phone, it has some bugs, but is pretty sweet, I can't want for the finished product to be publicly released


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235855 03/28/2010 3:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Would really like to switch over to an android phone, but stuck with AT&T for another 6 months, and the only one they have available right now is the motorola backflip, which I've heard some pretty conflicting reviews on.

Rick #235856 03/28/2010 3:33 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
i thought AT&T had the Hero? (


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235857 03/28/2010 4:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
Sprint has the hero, I love it so far!

gliderdad #235858 03/28/2010 4:12 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by gliderdad
Sprint has the hero, I love it so far!
oh that's right. my bad.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235869 03/28/2010 10:16 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
I know of three people all ready that bought out their contracts and jumped to the HTC Droid Eris and are not sorry they did it. Two of them work for a cell company.

JAISP #235870 03/28/2010 10:26 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
if anyone is holding out, what for the desire, has twice the CPU power! and comes with 2.1
the eris/hero isn't even listed anymore on HTC, and my insurance lists the desire as the replacement, I may have to lose my phone!


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235878 03/29/2010 1:27 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Well apparently I can get the Nexus One unlocked on AT&T through Google, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pony up $500+ for a cell phone, since it isn't subsidized at all.

Rick #235879 03/29/2010 1:28 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
yikes @ $500 eek

SD #235880 03/29/2010 1:29 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
yeah. not worth $500.
just keep an eye on the market, there are new phones coming out, or switch providers! lol


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235881 03/29/2010 3:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 186
member
member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 186
I would just wait the 6 months if my contract were up then. There are a bunch of really good phones coming out by the fall/winter. Along with all the Android phones, HTC said they are coming out with a Windows Phone 7 Series. Streaming Netflix and Xbox integration seems pretty cool, but I doubt my wife will let me wait that long for us to get new phones.

Our contract is up in a couple weeks and we'll probably get an Android phone. I'm currently waiting for one of the following: Nexus One, Incredible, Evo or Galaxy S.

Chosen #235882 03/29/2010 4:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Still won't be affording a new phone anytime soon lol... I'm not on a contract plan so I don't get any of the "perc's"


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #235883 03/29/2010 5:43 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 186
member
member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 186
Nothing wrong with that Giz. Spending the extra money makes sense for some people and not others.

I've been thinking about getting something for my laptop for a long while so that I could work remotely whenever I needed to. And thanks to Harold's links earlier in the post I hope this will allow me to do that without spending much more money.

Chosen #235884 03/29/2010 5:55 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
any of you using a windows mobile phone, WMWifirouoter rocks. allows USB tethered, bluetooth PAN, or turns your phone into a wifi access point.

they are working on a version for android, but the phone has to be rooted for it to work, and there are some other issues as of now.

I had it on my omnia and it worked amazingly well


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #235886 03/29/2010 6:15 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
I bought the HTC Droid mainly cus it is NOT Windows based but a Linux based OS. Had a "smart" phone running Windows Mobile and it totally sucked.

Rick I am surprised you can't afford a $500 phone.

JAISP #235888 03/29/2010 6:22 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
I bought the 500 dollar google phone, and got a plan on T-mobile that is $20 less than what I was paying on AT&T. 20x12x2, $480 in savings. My phone costs me $20 dollars. Dig it.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
David Dreezer #235889 03/29/2010 6:23 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Need to note that my AT&T plan was a year over the contract terms, so I had a get out of AT&T free card.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
David Dreezer #235891 03/29/2010 6:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
I bought the 500 dollar google phone, and got a plan on T-mobile that is $20 less than what I was paying on AT&T. 20x12x2, $480 in savings. My phone costs me $20 dollars. Dig it.

Sheesh, for that price you should have ordered 2 and sent one to me laugh

JAISP #235892 03/29/2010 6:35 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by JAISP
Rick I am surprised you can't afford a $500 phone.


he's married

SD #235893 03/29/2010 6:38 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Sirdude
Originally Posted by JAISP
Rick I am surprised you can't afford a $500 phone.


he's married


SHE has the $500 phone... lol


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
JAISP #235894 03/29/2010 6:41 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by JAISP
Rick I am surprised you can't afford a $500 phone.

I've become pretty scrooge like when it comes to spending. Maybe it's because I'm older now and would really like to just work a single job someday wink

Rick #235904 03/29/2010 8:00 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Sirdude and Bad Frog, you guys gave me a really good laugh. Never had crossed my mind.

I have my wife trained very well. I tell her I want it and i get it. If I don't get it then I go out and get it anyway and don't tell her I got it.

Have an area of my house where my wife don't go so I can usually hide my secrets in there, LOL.

JAISP #235909 03/29/2010 9:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I really wanted a smart phone, but unfortunately business is slow and it's just not viable right now...

I have the basics I HAVE to have (bluetooth and the ability to call people lol), someday i'd love to have a basic blackberry with wifi for productivity...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #235929 03/30/2010 1:27 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I really wanted a smart phone, but unfortunately business is slow and it's just not viable right now...

I have the basics I HAVE to have (bluetooth and the ability to call people lol), someday i'd love to have a basic blackberry with wifi so I can play more games and waste time more efficiently...

I fixed that for ya, gizz.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
David Dreezer #235931 03/30/2010 1:32 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
efficient waste of time has become an art form.. wink

SD #235932 03/30/2010 5:00 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I only game on my xbox360... In fact, I'm rather angry I can't delete the stock games on my Nokia to reclaim some space...

I'd like to be able to have some sort of office apps on a mobile device, a small browser that works and can parse javascript, and an ssh application (that would hopefully support ssh keys)


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #235945 03/31/2010 12:42 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
my nexus one has an ssh client that supports keys. As did my iphone, but not as nicely. iphone had only safari available. nexus one has chrome, which si webkit, same as safari. both do javascript. not sure on flash. there are other browsers available for nexus one. I think i heard that opera is. with the iphone you have only one email client, for all of your accounts. on the nexus one you have a client for your gmail account, and then a wide range of clients available for other email accounts. If you have more than one mail account you're going to end up with 2 clients. kinda screwy in that aspect. The iphone comes with a fixed amount of storage. the nexus one uses an ssd card, so you can buy various sizes. it came with 4 gigs, or 6 gigs, i can't remember. you can swap out cards, of course.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
David Dreezer #235949 03/31/2010 2:46 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Well the nexus does sound better than the iphone in those areas wink


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #235963 03/31/2010 2:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
They both have strengths and weaknesses.

The thing that iphone has going for it, well over anything nexus has, is that you can go to the apple store and see it, use it. With nexus, if you don't know someone that has one, you're S.O.L. as far as really getting your hands around it before you buy it.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
David Dreezer #235973 03/31/2010 4:23 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 186
member
member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 186
If you are interested in the Nexus One then just check out the HTC Incredible or EVO. They aren't exactly the same, but the Incredible has almost all the same specs. And the EVO is probably better. I assume their sales numbers will be a lot higher than the N1 because people will be able to play with them in the store.

Having a phone that people can't experiment with prior to purchasing is a strange move.

Chosen #236459 04/29/2010 4:15 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Rick has joined the android movement!


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #236460 04/29/2010 4:46 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Yep, Droid Incredible. It really is quite incredible wink

Rick #236461 04/29/2010 4:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 186
member
member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 186
Awesome. I got an Incredible also. I'd still like to see a mobile option for the forums, but it does a pretty good job of displaying everything on my forum. I really like how you can zoom in on a section and it will rewrap the text to fit the dimensions.

Chosen #236469 04/29/2010 7:40 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
My droid is the Eris HTC you take two fingers and place them together on the screen and move them apart to blow up the screen and it auto places the text in a wrap in the desired area of the screen.

JAISP #236470 04/29/2010 7:58 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by JAISP
My droid is the Eris HTC you take two fingers and place them together on the screen and move them apart to blow up the screen and it auto places the text in a wrap in the desired area of the screen.

yeah, the pinch to zoom feature is nice

I just installed the latest 2.1 build on my Eris, solved most all the bugs the last build had, loving it so far


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)