|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88 |
Just thinking out loud. Currently when you close a board a user gets a message that the board is closed.
Why not still allow the user to view everything but disallow posting.
Are there issues with that thinking?
I realize that things may hickup if changing styles, etc. But it seems to me when you close a board it is irritating to the user that they can't even browse the forum.
Blue Man Group There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
|
|
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522 |
I usually only close the board when I'm doing stuff with the database - optimizing or repairing tables or whatever. In that case, I don't want 150 users and 50 spiders accessing the forum, even if they are only reading it, because I want to be the only one in there. I shut flashchat down, too, because it also accesses the database.
My users know that I only shut it down when I need to.
Steve
UBB.classic from 2000-2003 UBB.threads from 2003-present!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88 |
Understood. But that's why I mentioned an option. Close board completely( as is currently) Close board to posting only (new)
Blue Man Group There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
It couldn't hurt as an option; some people would like to do some backend maintenance and I think this could help for say making a backup where you wouldn't want new data inserted into the db... Simply have a "Read Only" mode.
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
171
guests, and
128
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
|
|