Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#242364 03/28/2011 10:42 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Addict
Addict
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Can someone comment whether this is:

a) worth turning on from an SEO perspective?

b) what are the server load/bandwidth implications?

We recently purchased a super-server from Rick so we should be perfectly fine with the extra load/bandwitch, but I'm curious by how much each of these aspects will rise once this feature is turned on.

Anything else to consider? If our forum is quite large and I turn on this feature, will everything be ok? Will it only change new topics or also alter old ones?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
It can help for SEO, as it will put the topic title into the link.

No real server load implications. You'd still be able to reach the topics via the old method (old bookmarks, etc), but all links to new/old topics would be in the new format.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Addict
Addict
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Thanks, Rick.

Could character encoding be an issue now or in the future, as we're using ISO 8859-2? Will the links work ok with special characters being used in thread titles?

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Addict
Addict
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Does anyone know?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I'd go UTF-8 if possible, seems everyone is migrating


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Addict
Addict
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Not an option right now as my DB is already 2+ GB and UTF-8 would cause that to baloon.

Maybe once the DB (or rather posts table) is split into smaller ones in a future version of UBBT (like separate tables for each year's posts) this would be the best approach. But for now I just need to know if this feature will work fine under ISO 8859-2.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Addict
Addict
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
So what would happen if I turn this feature on? How would links to threads be transformed if they contain special characters - would special characters be simply changed to regular characters. So like "Déjà vu" will simply be "deja_vu" when it comes to the URL?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
It'd be changed to:
ubbthreads.php/topics/topicid/Déjà%20vu.html


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Addict
Addict
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Sure it won't be D%E9j%E0+vu.html?

Either way, wouldn't the spider-friendly URL feature work better for users if it made the change to deja+vu.html? The replacement of special characters with regular ones is what I'm seeing on a different forum I frequent...

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I'm sure as I tested it on my 7.5.6 install; and IIRC we're not sending urls through urlencode so it wouldn't be encoding non latin characters.

Ideally, urls would be passed through urlencode to ensure they're always able to be parsed via 3rd party readers.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)