Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
Hi experts:

I am the admin for a board and a bad one at that -- but I try. I am confused, because I add forums under forum settings, let's say they are called:

Red
Blue
Yellow
Green
Orange

But, then the very next setting is called Category Settings, which I never touch. It has something like Yellow and Green.

I do not understand what Category Settings are for.


UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 514
addict
addict
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 514
Ok I hope I understand the question...

Under categories you have forums.

So like if you have Category Red under that you would have Yellow Green forums
Then under that you would have Category Blue under that you would have Forum Yellow etc.

For example at my site (http://forums.iskirra.net) my category

Official Announcements (under that would be forums)
Announcements
Developers Circle
Contributor special area...


then would be my category General Forums

Which would have
General Discussion
A Bard's place

etc.


You set up the category and where you want them..
then you add forums to that category when you create them.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Dunny; 11/13/2011 2:21 PM.
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
Look at the forum page here, yuou will see at the top UBB.threads News and Discussions which is a category and under it is forums like

News and Announcements
Feedback & Suggestions
Pre-Sales Questions
Community Spotlight
Customer Feedback

Than the next category is UBB.threads 7 Discussion with forums under that

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
Thanks everyone,

Basically, this is the deal. Your forums are set up correctly. Ares are not. All of our forums (ten) are just set up under Discussions. There is no:

DARK COLORS:

Red
Blue
Purple

LIGHT COLORS:

Yellow
Pink
Light green

If you look across the top of our page, it says:

Amazing Charts >> Forums >> Discussions >> Problems >> Thread (thread being the topic of the new thread.

If you select, Problems, you get the Problems forum.

If you select Discussions, you get a list of the forums.

If you click on Forums, you get a list of forums.

So, all in all, I think it is just screwed up.
___________________

Under Category Settings, there is:

Order 0 Discussions (which makes some sense)

Order 1 General Discussion (which is an actual Forum)


UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
look @ your forum now, Bert

i added a category 'Private' -- there is 1 forum under there for admins

so only admins will see that category and it's forum, because of the settings.

So maybe in the case of your other forums -- you create a category called 'Miscellaneous'

then set the Tech, wishlist and problems forums as children of that category.. smile

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
Thanks!

What do I do with the "General Discussions" Order 1 under Category Settings, which doesn't seem to be a category?


UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Thats up to you to decide.
It is just a grouping mechanism for your forums.
But you will need to stick all of your forums in one category or the other.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
Well, I don't think I will do anything rash. Thanks.


UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Well you can always undo them. So make one for each forum if you wish to be radical.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
smile There are no forums listed under General Discussions. I just worry, I will delete a category and all the forums will go with it.


UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
That is a good practice. to move all forums to a different category before deleting a category.
But it is not a big thing to do unless you have a bunches of forums.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
Thanks Ruben. We don't have a lot of forums. In fact, it would be hard to really categorize them.

We have two admins. The owner of the company and the board and I who basically maintains the board and helps the users. His admin status is likely higher than mine.

He has access to the backups, etc. He has crashed the board a couple of times and SD has bailed us out.

So, I tweak here and there, but it would be horrible if I did something major to the board. I guess at this point it is working.

Thanks for your help.


UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 407 guests, and 105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)