Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#261031 01/24/2018 2:13 PM
Addict
Addict
Speaking of changes I am forced to make to the forums each time, we run contests in the forums. That means that a person's entry must be clearly made at a certain date and time with a certain answer. The forum code currently allows a user NOT to mark their content as edited which means they could make a wrong answer, see someone else's answer, and go back and edit it so it had the right answer and pretend they'd done that in the first place.

I make a code change so that they are not allowed to "hide" their change. All changes are always marked as changes.

Code
/templates/default/editpost.tpl
line 97: $lang.MARK_EDIT line, replace with entire below content.

<!-- LISA COMMENT - MUST SHOW EDIT STATUS -->
<input type="hidden" value="1" name="markedit">
<!-- <input type="checkbox" value="1" name="markedit" checked="checked" class="form-checkbox" /> {$lang.MARK_EDIT} -->
<!-- <input type="text" name="editreason" class="form-input" /> -->
<!-- END LISA CHANGE -->

I didn't do it in this last update because I was trying to whittle down the changes I make per update just for sanity's sake - but this is one that's fairly important to us.

I would lobby that we include this as a setting in future versions of the forum. As the forum owner I should have the ability to disallow silent changes of content.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
Can you not just edit the permissions to prevent edits?
This would have to be restricted to a individual forum to use the permissions option.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Addict
Addict
The forums have a wide variety of threads, not just contests. It's only the contest threads which wouldn't want unmarked edits.

It makes much more sense to just always mark the edits as being edited vs trying to lock or unlock all the specific threads to allow or not allow editing. And there could even be posts in a contest thread which someone might want to edit, like a response to someone else's entry that wasn't an actual entry into the contest. So even a contest thread wouldn't necessarily want to prevent edits - just unmarked ones.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The recommendation from the developers would be to either continue editing this code out, or setup a single forum where users cannot edit posts.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29