Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Simple question

Is it possible to move one post to a different area than that post and all that responding in the topic.

Example: The topic is about apples and someone posts about oranges. After that post people continue to talk about apples. I want to move the post about oranges to the orange topic and not have all posts that followed the orange post which comment about apples moved into the orange topic.

Regarding deleting posts, is it possible to delete more than one post at a time in a thread. If I have someone that isn't on topic and needs deleted, rather than the painful process of delete 1, then go back to delete another and go back and do this over and over, is there something that can alleviate the issue?

Something that I have observed and I need direction on

I have new members set that I have to approve posts. Once they have 5 posts overall they can access certain information in the forum. What I am finding is someone will go ahead and circumvent the process by making 5 separate one line posts. However once they hit that 5 post threshold even though I haven't approved the 5 posts, the system puts them into the group that is allowed to see the information and the posts that should've been approved are no longer there to be approved since the UBB is seeing 5 posts made. That defeats the purpose of approving posts.........

I have to go in and delete each post one by one, edit post count and remove them from the group they shouldn't be in.

Look forward to the replies to these because this stuff is driving me batty.

Adding:

Why isn't there an e-mail notification that posts need Approved? Currently the only way is to go to the Approved Post area in the CP but even then you have to manually refresh that area to see any posts that need approved. It's very archaic in nature.

Thanks

16 days and nary a reply. These issues remain outstanding.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
This is a user to user support forum, we choose to be here to answer user questions where they're applicable to the product; if you want guaranteed support from the vendor you need to be using Member Support to receive support directly from the vendor, or seeking support from the person who has been providing support to you privately. These are not paid support forums.

You can move a post out of a discussion by clicking edit and "move/merge this post and any replies" option; note that on forums that use Quick Reply your replies aren't necessarily assigned to the post right above their response, so you'll likely end up having to move/merge multiple posts and attach them to a specific parent posting.

You can only delete one post at a time, you cannot delete multiple posts within a thread at once; what you see is what is available to you.

If you have users skirting how the system works, you'll need to ban them until you can sort their postings; the system currently attributes any posts made to a post count unless within a "posts don't count" forum (see the "Posts Count" option when editing a forum).

This is a product which was developed in the mid 90s; Isaac and I have only been providing updates to the base since v7.5.9. Significant changes take a lot of time to be written, and huge feature changes have already been introduced since we started officially working on the base product (versus providing modifications and features through UBBDev

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
1 member likes this: isaac
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by FREAK
Why isn't there an e-mail notification that posts need Approved? Currently the only way is to go to the Approved Post area in the CP but even then you have to manually refresh that area to see any posts that need approved. It's very archaic in nature.

Your Forums > User drop-down menu > Preferences
"Moderator and Administrator Notification Preferences"
Select Yes for "Notify me when a post needs to be approved in a forum I moderate."
Click "Save Changes"

[Linked Image]

---

If you are having problems with new users, maybe do not force your uses in to your customized automated process which is easy to bypass.

As Gizmo wrote above, find moderators who will clear out the trash posts as needed. suspend or ban the violators. When you have moderators who are online often, they can handle violators quickly.

Use the tools already available to you:
• Set up a delay between posts. Maybe 5 minutes or 20 minutes between posts for new accounts -- I dont know your situation.
• Spread out your automated group changes to maybe 100 posts, vs the 5 posts it sounds like you already have.
• Run the post-count-rebuilder weekly if you have a major issue.

But what it all comes down to is that you need moderators to assist.

Last edited by isaac; 10/20/2020 3:51 PM.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
1 member likes this: FREAK
Isaac thank you for your reply and walk through.

I looked at my preferences for the Moderator and Admin Notification Preferences. My settings are already at yes for all four.

I do get notifications for new registers since I manually approve them to help prevent spammers. I do get a notification for multiple accounts but I get that in the forum itself not sent to my forum e-mail as I do for new users.

I believe I have received to my forum e-mail address Notify Post.

What I am not receiving is when a post needs to be approved. The only way I see this is to go into CP and then Approve Posts. I have to refresh it so often to see if a post needs reviewed however, it doesn't auto refresh. Other than that, I don't have any way of knowing at this point.

Suggestions?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Are you listed as a moderator for the forums in question?

If not, you wont receive that "Notify me when a post needs to be approved in a forum I moderate" message.

Manage your forum moderators within the permissions section at:
Control Panel > Moderators

I am the owner and admin do I need to still be listed as a moderator for the forum?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Also, I have recently been made aware that you worked with (hired?) Ruben regarding the topic of "approving moderated posts" some time last month, (September of this year). This might explain why you are asking the same question that Ruben asked to the software developers at that time. He probably did not followup with you and the result of that discussion. If that is the case, I will attach some screenshots which may be of use to you.

The result of that discussion:

Work In Progress Changelog 2020-10-04
https://www.ubbcentral.com/changelog-snapshots.php#20201004

I have attached two screenshots from within our private admin & moderator forum of my posts from that time. there are additional improvements not within these screenshots thumbsup
Attachments
20201020_14-48-36.PNG 20201020_14-47-27.PNG

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by FREAK
I am the owner and admin do I need to still be listed as a moderator for the forum?

yes.

the software is designed to target the group you are in.

It does not matter if you are the in the Admin group and can perform all administrative tasks (system and software jobs).
You need to be in a Mods group to receive moderator related notifications.

Admins often take care of administrative tasks.
Mods take care of moderation duties.
It is possible to be in both groups.

I am not sure what I am looking for there.

I have a three different groups

Users Registered Members from 0-4 Posts
Service Plays Registered Members 5 posts to infinity
Newsletter A special access for certain members only.

Here's my main issue right now.

Let's say Isaac joins my forum and he wants to see the Service Play Forum. He needs 5 posts to see that access. Isaac makes 5 quick posts and they are sitting in pending review for me to review/approve.

Since the system detects Isaac has made 5 posts he is given access to the Service Plays area even before his posts are reviewed or approved.

I as the Admin, log in, see pending posts to approve and see Isaac's 5 posts. 4 of the 5 are nonsense or he made 5 posts in rapid fire. I decided to go in and delete 4 of those posts. Technically Isaac has 1 approved post and his count should be 1. But it's 5 instead. I then have to go into SQL and edit his post count to 1. However the system still shows him as having access to Service Plays even though he doesn't have 5 posts and in reality never did since they weren't approved. Now I have to go into Isaac's profile and manually remove him from having access.

That's a lot of work to do and really shouldn't be that way. Isaac's post count shouldn't tick up 1 until his posts have been approved. So rather than showing 5 he should show as 1 since I approved 1 and deleted the other 4 nonsense posts. If it worked that way, I wouldn't have to go to SQL to edit and I wouldn't have to go to his profile to edit.

Is there a work around to this and I still need to know if as the admin if I need to list myself as a moderator for every forum I have. I would think being the admin of the board I wouldn't have to be listed as a moderator since the admin has a higher function ability than a moderator. Just sounds like extra work to do something I should already have access to. Yes?

I appreciate your replies and assistance.

You answered the admin/mod question while I was typing the above out. Thanks

isaac
Thank You

For your informative explanation.
You gave a better explanation than I could.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29