Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#265133 02/12/2022 6:12 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Hello,

One of my Britbike forum moderators wrote this in our moderators forum

Is there any way the software can be programmed to "LIKE" a thread, without it taking us to a second screen that we have to click, to get back to the thread?

It's a bit tedious, as I like LOTS of stuff on this forum...

Maybe it could be considered for coming upgrades?

Cheers

Last edited by Gizmo; 02/12/2022 5:28 PM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I have split this topic from the v7.7.5 changelog thread as it has nothing to do with that discussion and is instead a feature request.

The intermediate page is confrimation page, this page is in place so that users can't just mass like items (and works in tandem with the "max likes per day" permission to stop users flooding the database). Previously a delay page was in use but was removed as it wasn't needed with the confrimation page in place.

You're welcome to rewrite and tinker any features of your installation of UBB.threads, but the stock behavior still stands (and modifications to the base code are completely unsupported by the vendor).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by Gizmo
This delay was added as flood protection, you can tinker but I stand by the possibility of multiple users liking content at once

Gizmo Your answer brings a few more questions to this self learned head.

If the flood protection was to be skipped what could happen if 2 users like at the same time?

If the flood protection is needed could this be an option.
Now when we click LIKE another page or window is presented and one needs to click again to update and close the window.
What if that last sequence is programmed to be automatic? is that a possibility?

The case then would be I would click like and see the window open and update the process automatically.
To make a very simple comparison.. In the past I used to have a page that when opened then the page was refreshed and auto opened a new page...
see this tag, its not the same as I ask for here just something to help explaining..
<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0; url='/forums'" />

The idea is to only use the like button with one click and then come back to same place..

Thanks

Last edited by Morgan; 02/12/2022 5:26 PM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You're welcome to modify your forums in any manner you see fit, however you'll need to know that any modifications to the base code will not be supported by the vendor.

This confrimation page was added for flood protection, and the feature works like any other "preview" page in the product; so users won't just click like on every post on the page which could flood queries to the database; now say you have multiple users doing this at once and you can see how the load would increase.

Once users insert likes willy nilly (such as liking every post in a thread) the value of those likes goes to the wayside, things are no longer popular and stand out.

I wrote this system the way it is now, with abuse and performance in mind; this feature will not be rewritten like the user wants; again, you can tinker how the system works if you must, but I stand by how this was written.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I think the point is say I visit your site and I start liking every post.
Then others chime in.
It could almost appear as a ddos attack if to many do it. at once,
But I agree that it should be our option just like in control panel
Show Total # of Unread Posts Per Forum
Warning: This can cause excess load and contribute to slow speed.

I guess Giz beat me to the reply with a similar answer

Last edited by Ruben; 02/12/2022 5:33 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Old Hand
Old Hand
OK I hear you, it is just feedback from our users and me.
I will go back and inform our members that the not so user friendly Like feature is there to prevent users from liking to many posts.

If the users don't like how the Like function works maybe I should disable the Like function instead.
The users might Like that.. wink
Dang that could be written for a stand up gig.. grin

Cheers

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 866 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29