Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 120
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 120
Hi! Happy to see a v8. I'm still using the UBB.Threads since 2003 or something (upgraded from UBB.Classic which I used from 2001).

I need some advice on a good path to update to v8 as I know I'll run into some issues.

1/ I have an old database with MyISAM tables all set to collaition latin1_swedish_ci
2/ UBB.Threads 7.7.1 with some customisations
3/ PHP 7.3.33

My host this week forced UTF-8 output on the database, so I today did what was necessary in terms of changing the charset I once modified everywhere

I would like to know what I should do best to upgrade to v8...
- database: what should I do best in PHPmyadmin? What would be the procedure to duplicate the existing database, at the same time switching to UTF-8?
- Then... I guess the best option would be to do a full backup of the file system, first change the existing install to make it connect to the new database (keeping the old as a backup), then do the upgrade?

I want to do this before I update to PHP8.

Last edited by Kayjey; 10/20/2025 1:48 PM.
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
There is a UTF8 converter tool in (I think) 7.5.5 and v8. UBB.threads v8+ would be the only version capable of running on a PHP8 system, but it also runs on PHP7 so you can upgrade in place then change to PHP8.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 120
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 120
Thank you Gizmo! I will start making plans and investigate.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (CESEREL, Geoff, 1 invisible), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)