Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 67
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 67
I'm running our 1.3million post board on a dual processor box with two gigs of memory, but still occasionally see some ugly performance. Looking at MySQL stats, we see lots and lots of queries that get executed without use of keys - thus doing full table scans.

I'm not sure if that's our main bottleneck, or if it's elsewhere, but I do have this generic question:

Is it expected that v7 will run much more quickly and efficiently than v6? Will I see much quicker responsiveness day to day on the boards once upgraded, or will my "who's online" average of 200 to 250 users pummell this thing?

Thanks,
Arch

Last edited by Architecht; 09/14/2006 6:18 PM.

[Linked Image from boards.collectors-society.com]
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Rick will need to answer this, tho I have a very similar forum to move to v7 eventually and I'd be interested in the answer too smile 1.2million posts, 34k members, etc


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Overall, with some of the caching we're doing now, full text indexing on searches, etc. you should definitely see an improvement. I've tried to examine every query that's being done to make sure it's using the most efficient key possible. There's a chance that we do have a query or two buried somewhere that might need to be optimized, maybe a missing key or an improper one, but so far things look pretty good.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Oh, and I forgot to mention a totally redesigned database which is much better than the 6.5 version that just had various things added to it over time wink


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)