Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I didn't want to post this at all, since i feel that since rick owns wwwthreads or the rights to it or whatever. It is his decision to do with it as he pleases. In a one man show, i can see how hard it is to develop two versions in perl and php. i don't know about the cancelation of the perl version, but i know that one needed to be stopped. the php version is not a php version, it is a perl version converted into php. it is messy and can be cleaned up. In the state of things, now that ubb makes a perl board, why do they need a ubbthreads perl. i will probably get a lot of flames for this, but can everyone just chill out. don't knock the php version till you try it. the perl kids out there, look at the source code for both and figure out how to do things in php. php is a great scripting language, and it is really really easy. The community needs you here, The elders are leaving. We need you here, Why are people leaving, FORGET about infopop. i have had no problems with infopop, so that must be why i am okey with what is going on. I don't make flame posts about infopop, my only wish is that there page layout was 100% not 780 pixels. and the new posts worked on a forum by forum basis, oh and a pm system. I wish it was like w3t, but there is nothing that you can do, just wait for ubbthreads.com to come out or whatever it will be. if rick has a smart brain in there, he will not gpl w3t. there is no smarts in doing that at all.
just letting you know that i am not going anywhere. Rick is great, w3t is great, you all are great (when you arn't complaining about infopop) and nothing else should matter then. bleh.

http://www.extremeforms.org/postlist3.php?Board=testboard

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I agree.. the PHP version is a good choice for InfoPop... However I don't like PHP and many of the customizations I have done on my system can not be done via PHP without spending an extra $100 or so for another peice of software... I like perl... I have used both the PHP and the Perl version and I have found the Perl version runs ALOT smoother for me... That is a personal choice... I cant run everything I need/want to run via PHP...

So yes I will support Rick 100%... However I still would like to see the Perl version/side developed some more and have bug's worked out and have features added... I program in both Perl and PHP and I personally prefer Perl...

So...

Billy S.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
What cant be doen in PHP that can be done in perl ?

Regards
Clint

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
What cant be done:
PDF Creation. It can be done via PHP but it requires me to go and buy more software which well I don't have the money to do.

Reason I create PDF's is I have intergrated my entire site into the W3T system. It is a fan site... People can add biographies about their character(s) they play, people add guilds and everything...

I deal with large amount of data. I am also developing a system in perl due to PHP can not do this to go to a web site and import post from this site into my forum system. Unless PHP has some sort of LWP module like perl then I highly doubt it can do this.

I have a system on my site which allows users to update their web pages via the interface built into the W3T system. It is a very interactive Web System and has ALOT of features in it... I know most of it can be done in PHP how... I do not care to convert that Perl code to PHP... if you wish to take on that task go for it... however it is ALOT of data and very complex... You can view it working at:

http://www.ralloszek.net/perlforum/wwwthreads.pl

Login Name: Test
Password: test

You will see "Edit your guild's Web Site."... Now if you can find something in PHP that can do all this without adding more cost to my budget... then surely I will use PHP more...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
you are the minority.
but PHP for PDF and Creating PDF files in PHP
in every programming language there is, BUT CAN ThIS DO THIS? no, but you can still be using the php version with your pdf program to work together.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
OK... What part of not wanting to pay anymore money then I have to?? Yes I know about PDFlib for PHP... look at the cost... PDF::Create is FREE

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Don't bother trying to change people from Perl to PHP... it is a waste of everyone's time... It is real easy... If you want to use PHP use it... if you want to use Perl use it... No one here should be critising anyone for using one or the other... they are both equally good languages... some people prefer PHP some prefer Perl... it doesn't matter...

That isn't the purpose of all the discussion... So if you people who wish to use PHP then use it... don't sit here and try to tell the people who wish to use Perl how much better PHP is cause... honestly... we don't care...

just my 2 cents...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
yo i am not saying which one is better than the other. there are other projects out there on sourceforge that might help. don't know your level. all i was trying to do is open up eyes. all these conversations seem pretty close minded.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="">quote:</font><hr /><font size="" face="">I am also developing a system in perl due to PHP can not do this to go to a web site and import post from this site into my forum system. Unless PHP has some sort of LWP module like perl then I highly doubt it can do this.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="" face="">If your settings are right in PHP, you can read data from a URL using fopen() just like you read from a file. We do it all of the time for our MagPortal data feed service--software on the client's computer opens a connection to our server to fetch new data.

Bill Dimm, SaveTheFreeWeb.com

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
ok so you can open up a URL accept cookies... take the data printed fromt he URL... grab the URL's withen this site... grab the parsed out data from this page then go to the URL's matching a search criteria grab the data from there insert that data into the correct fields in the database grab any URL's matching the criteria from this page follow them do the same then go and start on the next URL in the list??

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Sorry Datal, from your original post I didn't realize that what you were trying to do was so complicated. I don't know if PHP has tools for doing that--I was only addressing whether or not it could fetch remote data using HTTP.

I do have to wonder if you really want to be doing this sort of thing on the fly though. Good etiquette dictates that you shouldn't be hitting a site more than once or twice a minute with automated software (and you should check robots.txt too), so what you are describing seems like it would be horribly slow from the user's perspective.

Bill Dimm, SaveTheFreeWeb.com

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="">quote:</font><hr /><font size="" face="">Originally posted by Datal:
OK... What part of not wanting to pay anymore money then I have to?? Yes I know about PDFlib for PHP... look at the cost... PDF::Create is FREE</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="" face="">"A commercial PDFlib license is required for all uses of the software which are not explicitely covered by the Aladdin Free Public License."

"The »Aladdin Free Public License«
This license applies to the main PDFlib package, but not to the ActiveX edition or any EBCDIC editions (both of which are only available under the terms of the commercial PDFlib license). The complete text of the license can be found in the file aladdin-license.pdf which is also contained in the PDFlib distribution. In short and non-legal terms:

• you may develop free software with PDFlib, provided you make all of your own source code publicly available
• you may develop software for your own use with PDFlib as long as you don't sell it
• you may redistribute PDFlib non-commercially
• you may redistribute PDFlib on digital media for a fee if the complete contents of the media are freely redistributable.
"
I thought your site would fall under at least one of those.

Administrator, Videogame Music Archive

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 875 guests, and 141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29