Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
stranger
stranger
W Offline
Hello:

I'm going through install.php and when I proceed to database check, the page doesn't seem to load all the way. All that comes up is "step 3" "connecting to database". It doesn't say "pass" or "fail", just stops at connecting to database.

Why?

W
stranger
stranger
W Offline
Ok, I did some playing around, and got the page to display an error. Next to "connecting to database" (in the right column of that table) I get the following error:

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in...on line 438

W
stranger
stranger
W Offline
Ok I figured it out. My PHP install was not correct. When installing PHP 5 you must make sure to install the mySQL extension, which I didn't do.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok, so that means that your PHP install either wasn't compiled "with-mysql" or the mysql portion is commented out in the php.ini file. If this is a hosted webserver you'll need to put in a request with your host, giving them that error, to update PHP.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you installed via yum, you would just need to do (only do this if you installed via yum):
yum install php-mysql

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit
Hello:

I'm going through install.php and when I proceed to database check, the page doesn't seem to load all the way. All that comes up is "step 3" "connecting to database". It doesn't say "pass" or "fail", just stops at connecting to database.

Why?
NOTE: This requires an IIS restart which may be an issue if it is a production server that needs this update.

You already answered yourself, but I figured that I'd elaborate a little bit more.

This is because you have an install of PHP5 and PHP5 no longer comes with the MySQL extension by default anymore (per the PHP manual's section on extensions in Windows).

You must download the extension from MySQL themselves via the link: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/php/

Follow the directions under the heading How do I install the mysql/mysqli extensions for PHP? or just follow mine which are specific to a default Win32 install (note that my PHP install directory is C:\Program Files\PHP):

1) Since no extensions directory is created by default you need to create your own. I chose C:\Program Files\PHP\extensions for mine. NOTE: I didn't have to change any security settings for the IUSR_ account on mine since it was in Program Files.

2) There are only 2 files in the downloaded zip file: php_mysql.dll and libmysql.dll
  • php_mysql.dll - Copy to C:\Program Files\PHP\extensions
  • libmysql.dll - Copy to C:\Program Files\PHP

3) Edit your php.ini file (located at C:\Program Files\PHP\php.ini for me) making the following changes:
  • Set or create the line: extension_dir = "c:\Program Files\PHP\extensions"
  • Uncomment or add the line: extension=php_mysql.dll

4) Now you must restart IIS to get PHP to load the changes to the php.ini file. This can be done through the IIS Manager or by using the command IISRESET on the Command Prompt window on the server.

Now your ubb.Threads install will rock right through Step 3!

Cheers,
-ken
Ken DuCharme

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (ahmed047), 624 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29