Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
My apologies if this has already been discussed.

It would be very helpful to the mods if there was a way to assign and track warnings and suspensions given to users.

As you can imagine with 48,000+ users and over 1.34 million posts our moderators have their hands full policing the boards.

Unless someone blatantly crosses the line, we usually start with warnings, followed by suspension for a period of time, and finally outright banning.

I realize we can use the "Member is Banned" function and include a note. But that doesn't really work if all we want to do is give a warning. And the original information disappears if/when you reinstate them.

It would be very helpful to be able to track the history (how many warnings, but which mod, for what)particularly if it leads up to an outright banning.

We recently had to ban a long time very active member.
There was a general uprising by his many supporters. We knew it was an accumulative decision, but it was nearly impossible to reconstruct all the details that lead up to the ban.

Sorry for the long post but I needed to explain all the details. Returning you to your regularly scheduled programs now.

Founder/Host
Piano World
https://PianoWorld.com
Home of the world famous Piano Forums.
http://forum.PianoWorld.com
88,000+ registered members
Over 2.5 million posts, and growing...
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Definitely something to add. Putting this on our todo.

journeyman
journeyman
One the Board that I am Admin on we had the same issue. So in the Mod room we started two threads. One is where we would post the warnings given and suspension. The other was the ban list.

We call the Wacko Watch and Wacko World.

Piano World I hope that Rick can code some thing in. I was just giving you how we track the warnings, suspension and banning people.

Val

Last edited by Wisc.Tiger; 01/12/2010 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wisc.Tiger
One the Board that I am Admin on we had the same issue. So in the Mod room we started two threads. One is where we would post the warnings given and suspension. The other was the ban list.

We call the Wacko Watch and Wacko World.

Piano World I hope that Rick can code some thing in. I was just giving you how we track the warnings, suspension and banning people.

Val

Aye we do something very very similar in our internal forums for suspensions/warnings/bans.

Dunny

Thanks Wisc.tiger and Dunny, good suggestions.

My concern is the threads would get big and hard to track.
Or, if we created one thread per user/offender, we'd end up with pages of posts to slog through looking to update a given member.

I've tried something similar with users logging in with different display names from the same IP (we discourage multiple accounts as they are usually used to abuse the system).

Still, it's a better solution than nothing for now.

Hopefully Rick can create something more refined via code at some point.

Founder/Host
Piano World
addict
addict
Agreed I also use the person's name in the subject (to make searches easier wink )
I will make a fictional post (so to keep my suspensions internal) but to show you pretty much what I mean if you like.

Dunny

Addict
Addict
I used to use the admin comment field in the profile to track it, but I've been slipping. It would be a nice thing to automate.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
addict
addict
Admin comments are only visible to admins though... not usually your day to day Mods. I do agree a new way to track and let the other mods know is key to running a big board (I have issues on a comparably small set of boards so I can imagine the ones with millions of posts or users.)

But in the absence of such a feature (at the moment), adapt, adjust, overcome and be happy that it works smile

Dunny

Originally Posted by Dunny
Admin comments are only visible to admins though... not usually your day to day Mods. I do agree a new way to track and let the other mods know is key to running a big board (I have issues on a comparably small set of boards so I can imagine the ones with millions of posts or users.)

But in the absence of such a feature (at the moment), adapt, adjust, overcome and be happy that it works smile

Dunny

Agreed Dunny,

Overall you can't beat the UBB for the price. Believe me I'm not complaining, just wishing out loud and hoping it might make it into a future release.

In the meantime, yes, we will try some work-around solutions.

Founder/Host
Piano World
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Notes are available to mods if they cant edit users. Thats how I do it on mine too.

You must be a Marine DUNNY.
You sound like gunny highway in the heartbreak ridge movie. laugh

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
addict
addict
I am a retired Navy Boatswain's mate and Recruit Division Commander .. not a bad guess though. tongue

Dunny

addict
addict
That said, I was not implying that you were unhappy.. Rick had already said it was a good idea to add... I was speaking about the present situation, where I would rather effort go into the new version than adding things to the existing version (hence we adapt and overcome these challenges while we expect great things in the near future). smile

Dunny

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 816 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29