Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Hop To
#239566 09/20/2010 11:33 PM
The_one_I_actually_got_doesn't_have_the_sling_as_I_didn't_want_one..jpg
addict
Wife let me get this today!

Gotta love this woman as she knows how to keep her man happy.
23 Comments
Veteran
Veteran
Marlin 336?

addict
addict
Yup

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
addict
addict
SWEET!!!

veteran
veteran
Totally the opposite here in the UK. If my wife bought me that it means that she hates me as it's a minimum 5 year prison sentence for anyone caught in possession of a firearm (unless you're a farmer, gamekeeper, etc. with a licence).

Still, if you guys want to go round popping slugs in each others heads that's fine by me. smirk

addict
addict
And yet the UK still has it's share of assaults and murders, they just use other weapons. And I'll bet the really bad dudes still get guns, don't they... smile However, if you're going to be wandering around the deserts of Arizona there are a lot of critters more than happen to have you for dinner if you're not armed. Shoot, they even make a special pistol round with "snake shot" in it for the rattle snakes. Then there are the drug smugglers from Mexico that are more than ready to kill you if they think you are a threat, ie; saw them with drugs,etc.

However, the right to keep and bear arms here is a whole 'nuther topic. Oh, and 12 years as a cop I never once had to fire my sidearm except at the range or to finish off a deer that had been hit by a car. Things breed like rabbits in Michigan where I worked.

Last edited by GregK; 09/25/2010 10:43 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GregK
However, if you're going to be wandering around the deserts of Arizona there are a lot of critters more than happen to have you for dinner if you're not armed.
Fair comment. Not much call for self defence against man eating squirrels round here.

Oh, and 12 years as a cop I never once had to fire my sidearm except at the range or to finish off a deer that had been hit by a car.
Well I was very surprised when I read this. I'm glad I don't watch that mind polluting TV any more. It gives completely the wrong impression about other places and makes you want to strike them off your 'places to visit' list.

addict
addict
Aye Script. I carry a firearm at work myself, and have never had to use it in the line of duty at all.

Military service was different though. I can not however, claim the same for that. But it was still self defense.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
However, if you're going to be wandering around the deserts of Arizona there are a lot of critters more than happen to have you for dinner if you're not armed.
Fair comment. Not much call for self defence against man eating squirrels round here.

Oh, and 12 years as a cop I never once had to fire my sidearm except at the range or to finish off a deer that had been hit by a car.
Well I was very surprised when I read this. I'm glad I don't watch that mind polluting TV any more. It gives completely the wrong impression about other places and makes you want to strike them off your 'places to visit' list.

That's problem with American TV anymore. It gives those who have never been here such a distorted view of us. Sure, lots of violence in some of the bigger towns, but when you get out into the country it's a whole different place. Very little crime, great people to meet and visit with, etc.

Tombstone, AZ
Veteran
Veteran
This topic had been brought up on one of my message boards over the years and below is the exact reply to that post made by me.

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:

List of 7 items:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent
Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break- ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'.

Without them, we are 'subjects'.

addict
addict
In the U.S., states who have enacted "right to carry" laws have seen a decrease in violent crime and especially crimes against persons with firearms. Why? Because the criminals can no longer assume their victim is unarmed.

Tombstone, AZ
addict
addict
*nods*
And as stated only the law abiding types would listen to the law anyway.

Dunny

addict
addict
Got that right Dunny, but unfortunately, our anti-gun nuts refuse to recognize that.

Tombstone, AZ
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
As far as a lever action goes, I'd rather have the 444 Marlin. Then anything goes. smile

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Nice gun, but it's only as good as the amount of bullets you have. crazy crazy

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Bob E Long
Nice gun, but it's only as good as the amount of bullets you have. crazy crazy

And I have many! Buying more all the time as you can never have enough guns or bullets. Since this purchase I've added a Uberti 1871 .45 7 1/2" Navy Colt, a Ruger Vaquero .45, and a 9mm. Then I have my S&W Mod36 .38, an 1879 Blue Jacket .22 7shot revolver and a 1947 Winchester Mod46 single shot .22. The only one I will never shoot is the 1879 Blue Jacket as I wouldn't trust modern ammo in that cylinder.

Tombstone, AZ
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
The only one I will never shoot is the 1879 Blue Jacket as I wouldn't trust modern ammo in that cylinder.

As someone who knows nothing about guns, I am intrigued with that last statement.

Wouldn't modern ammo be more reliable?

addict
addict
Higher burn and faster muzzle velocity... the modern ammo would be more stable, but may overheat the barrel and firing pin/chamber etc.

Dunny

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Ahhh fascinating.
UK gun law is very prohibitive. Not too many gun clubs around (as far as I am aware).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dunny
Higher burn and faster muzzle velocity... the modern ammo would be more stable, but may overheat the barrel and firing pin/chamber etc.

Dunny

The other problem, which goes hand in hand with Dunny's post is I don't know how strong the cylinder walls are these days. The pressure is much higher in modern ammo than what it would have been back in the 1800's.

Tombstone, AZ
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Still, nice to own a piece of history. smile

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I would say, difficult to know what has happened to the properties of the metal in that cylinder in all these years. Probably quite brittle by now. Firing it is not just taking a chance of injury to yourself, but also to the weapon. Why chance it, just admire it for what it is. As you put it, driv... history.

None of us can go back in time... though if you can, PM me please.

Last edited by David Dreezer; 06/13/2011 5:47 PM. Reason: I'm a poor typist
addict
addict
Exactly smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
I would say, difficult to know what has happened to the properties of the metal in that cylinder in all these years. Probably quite brittle by now. Firing it is not just taking a chance of injury to yourself, but also to the weapon. Why chance it, just admire it for what it is. As you put it, driv... history.

None of us can go back in time... though if you can, PM me please.

And this is all precisely why I've never tried to put a round through it. I've seen other similar revolvers, but most do not have all the engraving mine has on it.

Tombstone, AZ

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29