SUCCESS!!!

I think my mistake was in using Microsoft's Web Publishing Wizard to ftp all my files to my Web-hosted server. I think that Front Page and Web Publishing Wizard do something so that the UBB system cannot delete files.

To make my installation of UBB work, I first uninstalled everything, deleted all the directories I created (both the ones I created overtly and the ones I created inadvertently in using Microsoft's Web Publishing Wizard).

The FTP program that comes with Microsoft's Windows 95/98/Me is adequate but tedious. It is FREE, though. In deleting files from the server, use

dir -a

to see ALL the files. That is how to see the "_vti_cnf" directories that Web Publishing Wizard sneaks in.

After I deleted everything. I went back and followed the instructions. After uploading all the files, I had to give "browser" user rights to read, write, execute, and delete for ALL directories that pertain to UBB.

I also gave the "browser" user all rights again after running the UBB General Settings, which creates some directories. I did that just to make sure. I don't know for sure whether the second time was necessary.

I suppose this is another case of Microsoft strikes again!

The Web Publishing Wizard was very quick and easy to use to get all the files loaded and all the subdirectories made very quickly. The only problem is that by using the Web Publishing Wizard and Front Page, UBB will never work. The Wizard makes hidden directories and prevent browser based deletions.

I can imagine helping someone else to install with problems that matched my own. "Exactly HOW did you get the UBB files to the server, WS_FTP, CuteFTP? ...you didn't use MS Publishing Wizard, did you?"

------------------
Ron