Rick,
There was a very simply hack done over at UBBDEV that emailed all replies to any post you started or replied too no matter who replied etc. This hack has worked great from the first install and on every version since. I think it would be a good starting point as the only downfall is it will email you when anyone replies to any thread you ever replied or started. You could code in a toggle for people to toggle this on or off in their profile or you could put a toggle when they post to use this or not. Seems like a very easy way to go about it considering this is a very suggested feature and you seem to be backpeddling on this one. Now I am going to have to add every thread I reply or start in my favorites. NOT. I will simply apply the hack. I would rather as a BB user know if anybody replied to a thread versus none.( which it would be if someone had to move a thread to favorites every time.
Chuck S
DIVE IN AND VISIT ME:
http://www.reefaquariums.netAdministrator at ReefTalk
http://www.reeftalk.com